do you have a playroom on another floor?

I have a split level town house. Does anyone have a play room on another level? Im thinking about putting their toys down in the downstairs living area and letting them go down there and play. Im going to put those safety door knobs on the bathroom and storeage doors so there is nothing that they can get into. They both can go up and down the stairs no problem and though i will be down there with them MOST of the time, i would have to come upstairs to cook/feedbaby/clean. Do you think 4 1/2 and almost 3 is too young to be on another level playing? Thanks!

MiMi.

Asked by MiMi. at 12:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Kylie has a playroom all to herself downstairs. Our basement level is carpeted and has doors to the bathroom, laundry room, and garage...but we keep a lock on those. all of her toys are kept down there except for a basket of her toys in our living room. we let her play down there by herself while I cook dinner or whatnot...it's great.
    ILoveMyFam

Answer by ILoveMyFam at 1:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• We do, we are in a bilevel and my kids go down and play in the family room all the time. I check on them often, sometimes just yell, "everybody ok?" and they answer... I can kinda see down from the top of the stairs, and I can hear everything so I know when things are fine and also when they are up to no good.... and my kids are almost 4.5 and 2.5. I would never go take a shower or anything while they are down there, but I can do my thing in the kitchen no problem.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think that is a great idea. We have a tri-level home, and we use the "family room" as a play room. We have a lot of grandkids and that is where we send them to play!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Our game rm is also our play rm & it's upstairs,as long as all the safety features are in place I think it's fine.
    briannasmom2

Answer by briannasmom2 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• We have a 2 story home. Upstairs is the kids rooms, usually messy :) Downstairs is formal, kept company ready. Kids know that they can only bring down 1 toy at a time, and it goes back up.
    I would get a monitor because a 3 and 4 year old can get into mischief even in the most baby proof room.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 1:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think it's a great idea, just make sure you monitor them as often as possible so to avoid any mishaps, just take precautions and it should turn out fine. My children were raised in three level home and their playroom was in the library room and they did just fine, they absolutely loved it, I monitored the area and it turned out great.
    Hurtnlostmom

Answer by Hurtnlostmom at 1:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• In a split level house, they're not as far as a two level house. At least not from what I've seen. So, I say go for it! Mine are only 2 and almost 1, but I am considering a special "big girl" area for my daughter to play in instead of napping, since she's not napping as often.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• we have a bungalow - so the playroom, gym, office and tv game room are downstairs.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2009