Is it inappropriate to have a second baby shower?

I read someone that having a second baby shower is acceptable if it's been more than 5 years since your last child...Do you agree? Disagree? Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If you are the one throwing it - that is never acceptable! But I think if someone else wants to throw you a shower, it is an expression of their love for you and your family! What is inappopriate about that? People don't have to bring gifts, or they can do a diaper shower.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I agree. Especially if the second child is a different gender. I think every child should be celebrated!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Thats what Ive always heard but I think its crap.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think its fine If its a different sex. Why not I think, If people who are invited want to come and help celebrate they will and those that think its not right won't come. Its up to you and your family. I don;t think it should matter either way.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I know...I'm on the fence about this one....if I ended up pregnant again at this point it would be fun to have my older children there for the shower...but at the same time I'd feel awkward...so I wanted to see where other moms stood on this.
    Anonymous

• It probably just depends on those being invited. If they are very proper, and wouldn't see it as correct, than it's best not to do it. I will probably have a small family shower when (if) I get pregnant with my next because my daughter, who is not 3.5 was born when I was 19 and single. Now that I'm married, my MIL is likely to throw a shower with her family, since they weren't involved with my daughter's birth/ shower.

Technically, I believe it's not appropriate, but times change, and it's becoming more normal.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I never saw a problem with it. I attend all that I'm invited to. After all, with one baby, a lot of things, like onesies get pretty stained. And there's always a shortage of diapers.

But this brings me to another question, why do some people feel that they must make up rules like this? Nuts.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 1:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My cousin just had her second 10 yrs after her first. She had the same gender, but had nothing for baby.
    So we threw her a shower.
    I only had one shower., even though I had a boy the second time after a girl, and had nothing left after a 3 yr span, and 3 moves (end up gettig sick of moving that stuff, when your not using it)

But I made it with minimal, and hand-me-downs.
    babyinafishbowl

Answer by babyinafishbowl at 2:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My opinion is that it is totally appropriate if someone wants to throw you a shower for your 2nd ,3rd,or whatever number! Each pregnancy, birth, child is different so why not! A party is a happy time & shared with family & friends!
    gillacutty

Answer by gillacutty at 2:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think if someone wants to throw you a 2nd baby shower that it's fine, but to throw your own or push others to throw it for you is greedy. Also, if you have friends or family that think a 2nd shower is tacky, you should not invite them.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2009