Do you think CPS should be able to get involved because of a child being Very Overweight/Obese?

My SIL is 14 and weighs 458 pounds.

She has a multitude of health problems, hates the way she looks, only has 1 friend with whom she only sees every month or so and has tried to commit suicide because of her weight.

My MIL continues to buy unhealthy crap and cook enouh for 10 people when there are only 2 of them. She allows my SIL to eat 4+ plates FULL of food and will order 4 pizzas for TWO of them.

My DH and I are afraid for her health and someone suggested calling CPS to get them involved since this IS a life or death situation at this point. (doctors say if she doesn't lose weight she won't see 20)

But my DH and I are in a debate about whether or not CPS should be able to get involved when a child is considered to be Morbidly Obese so I wanted to get the opinions of other moms.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes they can and they do get involved if its brought to their attention
    Anonymous

• Cps has gotten involved in the cases of morbidly obese children. And if shes not going to see 20 they should help.

http://www.examiner.com/x-14537-Albany-CPS-and-Family-Court-Examiner~y2009m7d21-Mother-loses-custody--is-charged-with-criminal-neglect-for-allowing-son-to-become-morbidly-obese
    Anonymous

• This needs to be done by DH if it is going to happen. Before he calls though, what type of interventions have you tried? You didn't say anything about him trying to talk to her about it. Why not?
    Jonsmommy408

Answer by Jonsmommy408 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I would absolutely call. That poor girl is going to die.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• At that age and weight most definitaly should they get involved. over feeding your child to that point is just as bad as starving your child to me. That is not safe and how does the child even walk. That poor girl. Maybe you can talk to your sister and help her eat healthier cuz your mom sure isn't. I feel for her.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yes! Parents are the ones who are in control and they are neglecting your sister for not helping her lose the weight.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• wow, that's sad. I agree with MoonLover06, parents are the one's in control and it is considered neglect if they contribute to her obesity. I would call protective services and I would also try to find her resources to better educate the parents on obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes which can happen when a child is obese even death can occur because of the pressure to her heart. I hope you seek help for her and she is able to live a good healthy life.
    Hurtnlostmom

Answer by Hurtnlostmom at 1:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Call.. AND CALL WITH OUT GUILT... Call knowing that you will be saving your SIL life!!!
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 1:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Not if the child is under a doctors care and the issues are being treated.

So many things besides overeating causes obesity, thyroid problem, lack of excerise due to an under laying heath issues....

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Really, mom2boys1997, I don't think when you eat 2 pizzas you can blame your thyroid.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2009