sterilizing kitchen sponges in the microwave?

I heard once that you can sterilize your kitchen sponges but cant remember the detils as to what works best. They are the cello ones, one side scrubbers other side sponge, and they are in good shape but they have that God awful stench that those will get.
anyone know how to salvage them? So far I have tried drenching them in cleaning spray, and am considering soaking them in bleach.
ty ladies :o).

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 1:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I put them in the dishwasher sometimes, I microwave them sometimes, I boil them sometimes. I really don't think it makes much difference.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 5:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• how about garbage canning them and get new ones or use a dish rag instead that way you can wash it and for tough things use comet or sos pads, sponges are full of bacteria BLEH
    Anonymous

• I run mine thru my dishwasher. They come out like new.
    babyinafishbowl

Answer by babyinafishbowl at 2:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i've microwaved my sponge before but never with the scrubbing side on it. it came out pretty good. I never thought about putting it in the dishwasher before, that's something i'll try next.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I would be very concerned about toxins being released in the microwave. Either put them in your dishwasher or put in a pot of boiling water for a couple of minutes.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I also throw mine in the dishwasher, but I also replace them regularly. I buy them in bulk from Costco.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 3:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• thanks ladies, yeah I do replace them regularly but from the research I did, when properly sterilized they are like new, so why spend that money. And to anon, i love people like you lol ya crack me up. So full of opinions and so lacking in confidence so that you cant even post your name lol too funny.
    ty ladies, I think I will boil them. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009