What would you do?

If you knew that a child (age 6) wasn't getting the proper care and attention? She doesn't get fed veggies (even though she loves them), get no attention except to be yelled at. Plus you know that the father is taking pills "for his back". He feel asleep for a hour and a half while she was in the pool by herself. Right now his mother watches her while he is at work. Less than a week ago his mother (who is bipolar) took 150 pills trying to kill herself. But here it is monday and she is back to watching her, along with his 65 year old great uncle (who doesn't do anything productive either). I was thinking of suggesting that she come and stay with me the next two weeks before school starts. I myself have a 5 (almost 6) year old and they are best friends. There is so much more to this story then I can even type so if you need more info to make a better decision please let me know. Thanks!!

Frogbaby83

Asked by Frogbaby83 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree with PP post. But I do also think that taking her for a llittle bit may be safer then where she is now. I personally would take her cuz I would feel horrible letting her stay in that situation.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• The only thing you can really do to fix the situation is call Child Protective Services. Tell them all of this. Taking her for a couple weeks (if they even allow it) would only fix it for the time she is with you.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion, there is alot going on in that household and you should tell protective services that you would feel more comfortable having the home inspected to see if this environment is unsafe for the child and let them do their job. btw, I think it's great that you care about this child,alot of people just turn away. We need more voices for children in this world.
    Hurtnlostmom

Answer by Hurtnlostmom at 1:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I also forgot to mention that she is extremelly overweight for her age. She weights about 110 pounds. I myself have battled with my weight my whole life and I don't want her to have to go through that. She now thinks she has to eat all the time and have seconds on everything. They mostly feed her fastfood or frozen pizza. She is allowed to go to the fridge and get whatever she wants to eat at whatever time. She pretty much only drinks pop as well. I hate to call in CPS because here where we live they just drop the ball on so many cases. There have been several children here die because of CPS messing up.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I sincerely think CPS needs a complete overhaul of their practices and alot more training.
    Hurtnlostmom

Answer by Hurtnlostmom at 1:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• hate to call in CPS because here where we live they just drop the ball on so many cases. There have been several children here die because of CPS messing up.

--------------------------------
    And how many more die because no one does ANYTHING! Even if they may drop the ball, its sad but it happens, at least there is a file when goddess forbid the child dies from drowning or who knows.
    Anonymous