How do I get my baby to sleep in her own room?

Right now my DD is 5 months old and I wanted to start getting her to sleep in her own room. The problem is its like she is afraid to be alone. Like last night I put her to bed then my husband and I stayed up watching a movie. She woke up screaming and when my husband came in to give her a binki she pushed herself up and looked at him as if she was checking to see if he was really there. Once she saw that daddy really was there then she closed her eyes and went back to sleep. Any ideas?

HolliBerry21

Asked by HolliBerry21 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just continue to put her in there.Follow the same routine every night. She will adjust in less than a week. Don't pick her up from the crib if she is upset after you put her to be. , but just talk to her calmly .
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 1:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Does she nap in her crib? I would try to get her use to it as much as possible. Also maybe try getting a light that shows stars on the sky( you can get them at a discovery store or maybe toys r us) and try and see if that will help her relax and feel comfortable.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• She goes to a sitter so she doesn't get to nap in her crib and we try to keep her up after 5 so she sleeps during the night. I will try that on the weekend though, thanks.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I just started making my DD sleep in her crib all night in her own room. For the first two nights whe woke up EVERY HOUR (it was sooooo brutal!) just to be comforted or to eat. By the third night she was sleeping for 2 or 3 hours at a time then waking up to eat. She is breastfed too. You might just have to push through to get her comfortable in her own room. Besides getting her to nap in there on the weekends you might take her in there and play with her or read her a book 30 minutes before you start your bedtime routine. Good luck!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009