Home birth & sibblings

Would it scar my two year old for life if he happened to see where babies come from at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• ummm yes it would. i would think so anyways.
    Anonymous

• I dont think it would scar him since 2 yo seem to forget stuff pretty quickly. It might how ever SCARE him for a few days. Just be sure to let him know while you do it that you are ok and the baby is ok. Id say it over and over so he gets it.
    Anonymous

• When my aunt did a home birth my parents went and got my cousins so they wouldn't be there. Not only did they not want them to see but they really didn't want them to hear their mom either. I mean some people do scream through the contractions and such. Why would you want your little child wondering why mommy is so upset and hurting? And you don't know how long it is going to take. Our neighbor planned a home birth, was in labor for 12 hours, went to the hospital, was in labor for 12 more hours and ended up having a c-section. Things don't always go as planned.
    Anonymous

• My DS was 17 months old when his sister was born & he was in the room with me the entire time. It didn't bother him at the time & I don't think he remembers it now. I labored & delivered very quietly, though, and had my MIL there to take him out immediately if things got too intense or he got bored.

I don't think it will scar him for life. I do think that hearing & seeing you in pain might bother him more than seeing the actual birth. If you do have him there, have at least one friend or relative who is assigned 2 year old duty & understands that they might have to miss the birth if your 2 year old wants to leave. Be honest with him--Mommy is having the baby today & it will hurt for a little while but Mommy will be fine, that sort of thing. Remember that childbirth is a very natural part of life & it has only been in the past 100 years that it has become something that is hidden by hospital drapes. Good luck!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm not sure, but when my dd was having her 2nd baby, I had her oldest who was 3 at the time at the hospital with us. I thought since my dd was having an epidural, that we could just destract my gd during the actual birth...that didn't work....the epidural didn't take right, and my dd was screaming and in a lot of pain, it started to scare my gd, so I had to take her out. She kept asking if mommy was ok, I just said mommy was fine and working on getting her baby sister out of her belly. After the birth, I took my gd back in and when she saw mommy she was fine.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I would never do a home birth and I would never do it with a child present
    Anonymous

• Knowing where babies come from won't scar a child. It's not something that should be hidden at any age. Mom in screaming pain however may be very difficult. My nearly 2 yr old totally freaks when anything happens to me. If you think you can keep your cool, go ahead. He'll sense your tranquility afterward and be very interested in the new baby.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm pretty sure I can do the quiet part. I gave birth to my first without a peep on a pitocin drip, so I have a feeling the contractions will barely register on my pain scale this time around.
    Anonymous

• My daughter and I just watched a The Business of Being Born and she loved it! Teaching children that birth is normal is really good. IF they do get scared because you might moan or scream then have a back up person tehre. I'm going to let my DD be there when I have another.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I suggest that you tell them before hand what will happen. Just throwing a 2 year old into that situation and expecting them to not get upset because mom is in pain is ridiculous. Just tell them that you have to work very hard to get the baby out and it hurts sometimes. Not to be scared that you will be fine in the end.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2009