What do you think of this statement?

"Honesty is a vital element of true prayer . . . Prayer will increase in power and reality as we repudiate all pretense and learn to be utterly honest before God as well as before men." -- A.W. Tozer (1897-1963)

Why do you think that God won't honor a prayer offered with a phoney heart as much as He will honor a prayer offered from a humble, honest heart?

I mean obviously God already knows everything about our hearts and minds. Why do people try and fool Him? Or pray with big "spiritual" words instead of just being themselves? Do you think this applies to how we pray with others, or does it even apply to when we pray by ourselves? Can you think of any verses that go along with this subject?

I just read this this morning and I thought this would be a fun one to talk about : )

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 2:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think if Christians could grasp the power of honest prayer we could revolutionize the world. Not because we will get more from God, but because the true power of prayer is how it affects our hearts. Prayer at it simplest is communication. We communicate with almighty God. When we do that it changes our hearts. So imagine our hearts less anxious, less fearful, surrendered to almighty God and walking in close fellowship with Him. Tell me that wouldn't revolutionize us, Christianity and the world!
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• According to religion it is because if your heart in the prayer is not true than neither is your faith in what you are asking and if you don't have faith you wont be rewarded. Oh so I am told. Personally I believe that if you are a good person no matter what you believe. Some how god will answer your prayers.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I want to answer but my son is squirming all over lol. Be back later.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Because I think it's relating to those that are lying to themselves.

ex.. a person may ask for forgiveness, and think they understand what it really means, but in reality, they haven't truly forgave, they are just going through the motions.

or a person can ask for help with their temper.. but until they realize it's their pride that causes their temper, they won't get the real help that they need.

You have to understand what you are asking for. To do so, you have to completely understand yourself. Most people don't know how to look at their own faults, so they blindly ignore them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think its more about honoring our true selves rather then he already knows so who cares or why bother...kwim?

Yes, the Divine knows our hearts and all that but even more important is being true to who we are and trying to be "bigger" than we are or being "bigger" to look good in front of others denies ourselves and our truer nature. God(s) is aware of our true nature and wants us to know it as well.
    Thats why humility will always win out....because its coming face to face with ourselves and knowing that we arent "all that".
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Proverbs 6: 16-19 about wicked heart, devise mischif.
    heathersmomm500

Answer by heathersmomm500 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009