3 year old will not let us know when she needs to use the potty....

Our daughter will be 3 years old late Aug. She has been using the potty just fine for months, however the problem is that its usually by command, or if she is without undies on. When we are out and about, she refuses to tell me that she has to pee, or poop. She refuses to tel us at home as well. She is not night potty trained. But if she still as her pill up on, she wont use the potty...

ahhh.... what am I doing wrong. Any tips. I just want her to tell me she has to go pee and go! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• put pull ups on her
    Anonymous

• She isn't ready for that step. Set your timer and take her every hour. Even when you are out.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• She does wear pull ups...she uses them as a crutch.
    Anonymous

• Stop the pull-ups...from my experience they slow the whole process down.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• You are just gonna have to keep asking her every hour or so and she will eventually start going on her own without being told to. You just have to be patient. I don't think the pull ups should be making much of a difference on whether she will tell you or not. My son is 3 and completely potty trained in the day but wheres them at night and I never have had to ask or tell him to go he just goes. But it took time so just be patient.
    littleguys_rule

Answer by littleguys_rule at 2:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son has been going on the potty since he was about one year. However he is now 3.5 and just this last week has started going on his own or telling us he needed to go. We tried everything!!! These last few months, if he wet himself, I sent him to the bathroom and he had to undress himself, put the wet clothes in the dirty laundry, and dress himself in dry clothes. He hated it and it sometimes took andl hour or two before he was dressed and could come out of the bathroom. I just kept telling him if he wet himself he had to dress himself without help. We also bought tootsie rolls and he is getting one only when he decides on his own that he needs to go. It is FINALLY working!!!!!!! Keep trying different things!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Take away her pull-ups (except at night). Put her in undies only. Take her every hour to the potty. She'll get it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009