How many of us really balance our check books?

Just wondering if we are normal, we never write down any transactions or balance our checkbook. We call the bank for the balance when we know we are running low. How do you all do it? I need help so it you have any tips please add them too.

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sorry, i can't help you. I too am terrible at this. It has gotten me in trouble more than once. I just don't remember to do it.
    craftykidsclub

Answer by craftykidsclub at 2:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Business accounts - daily reconciliation

Personal accounts - I check transactions at least every day online; I never reconcile.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I use online banking. I always right down my bills as I pay them. We use cash only for our other purchases and I check my balance online to make sure that everything has cleared (and to see if I forgot to write something down).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• every morning I grab my coffee and my register and I go to my online banking...I make sure every penny is counted for and know exactly where I am in EVERY single one of our checkings and savings accounts.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:24 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I always balance our check book. You can't go by what they tell you your balance is because some things take longer than others to clear.

Anonymous

• I don't balance. As a way to save a little, I always round up to full dollar amounts. It is a way for me to save without really knowing how much, so I don't take it out.
    Mommyto1DD

Answer by Mommyto1DD at 2:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I don't balance a checkbook. I look online everyday to see what has and hasn't gone out so I know how much money we have.
    Anonymous

• I used to do it all the time. But now we have it set up so we can view our account on line...so everything is right there....no need to even keep the check book!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm obsessive about this. I record the date, amount, number, & to who within my register. Then I also compare by calling the 800 number at my bank (like every 2nd to 3rd day). I normally stop purchasing when the last check will result less than $30 in my checking.

Reason why I am obsessive is first, I keep track of money taken out that I'm unaware of (autodeducts, spendy husbands, and id theft)

Second, I'm blame universe at work.

BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I write down every check at the time it is written, and I balance my checkbook every month as soon as our statement comes. I can't imagine not doing it that way. I almost never call our bank for the balance.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009