Is it normal for my 7 month old to have been saying dada all the time and then stop?

My son started saying dada when he was almost 7 months old, and then he just suddenly stopped and I haven't heard it for about 3 weeks, is this normal? He still smiles at me and everything it just seems he has stopped babbling and trying to say words, he doesn't have any teeth yet and he is teething, could this be a cause?

bambi2005

Asked by bambi2005 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow my kid is almost 8 months old and still doesn't even say it at all..
    Anonymous

• Yap happened to my dd and she didnt start talking again until she was 18 months!!!!!! but now we cant shut her up, lol. She is saying things I dont even remember teaching her. I wouldnt worry.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son often says words for a long time, gets them down and then quits for a long time. He learned Mama at around 6 months and then at 10 months quit... he now is 12 months and says Mama again.
    I think sometimes they learn something and then turn their attention to a new skill.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009