How do you deal with your migraines?

I get severe migraines and it's all driving me nuts. I've had them for years but was wondering how others deal with them when they get them or ways to prevent them, if any. Thanks!

lilsweetredhead

Asked by lilsweetredhead at 7:34 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Health

• Aren't they the worst!!! I use ice packs on my neck to cool the blood going into the head, advil, rest and the best thing that I have found is lanocaine...yes the ointment...put it on the temples..pain will be gone in under 20 minutes. I works for me..hope you feel better soon too!! take care
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 7:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I've been getting migraines for over 20 years. The only thing that gets rid of them for me is the Imitrex injection. I go to the chiropractor to get adjusted to help prevent them and that helps, but when I get stressed out or when Aunt Flo comes that's when they are the most frequent. I just started on a BC called Yaz to help with the severe PMS so maybe that will help with the menstrual migraines.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:17 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• try acupuncture and some flower medicine(found in vitamin stores) .
    Anonymous

• I've used cool or warm clothes over my eyes. There are 2 places on the back of your skull. When you have a migraine they become little nodules that are very painful when you press on them. Press on them and hold them for 30 sec and then release for 30. Repeat until you feel the pain go away. Meditation helps-there are specific meditations for migraines. Lastly you can take Imitex and a naproxen or aleve and that always kills mine. You just don't want to do that a lot because it can bother your stomach.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 1:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I go to a chiropractor for my migraines actually. It really helps!
    Ryanswife06

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I take Topamax. The side effects are weird but it's worth it.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• shortly after my son was born i was under allot of stress and started getting frequent migranesthe only thing that worked for me is excrdrin and a tall cup of coffie.it helps allot but dont do frequently the ancetaminfin and caffine is not a healthy mix u should see a doctor for a more permanent solution
    yumymommy

Answer by yumymommy at 7:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Thanks to all who answered, I got a lot of information and some new choices for me to look into and try! :)
    lilsweetredhead

Answer by lilsweetredhead at 8:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Topamax is the only thing that's ever worked for me and it helps prevent them. Side effects are worth it!!
    wynnchime

Answer by wynnchime at 12:32 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I've been taking Topamax for 3 years. It works great for me. It may make some of your hair fall out though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Sep. 12, 2008