do i need to get a bigger car seat for my 4 months old boy??

hi ... my son is 4 and a half month old .. he is not comfortable in his car seat as he use do be .. is this cause he is grown bigger for the seat ( he is 28 inches in length)
?? do i need to get a bigger car seat for him or is there any other alternative ??

baby_boys_mom

Asked by baby_boys_mom at 2:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter is 30 inches and 7 months i use a convertible car seat for that same reason
    MinnesotaMom26

Answer by MinnesotaMom26 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If you think he's uncomfrtable you can get him a larger convertible seat... you'll likely need one at some point anyway. But most seats fit 4 month's just fine.
    As far as your seat... the weight limit on the seat is a for sure thing, when he gets close to the weight limit you need a new seat. The length is a guideline... some babies have long legs or long trunks... what you look for is that he has at least 1 inch above his head. His legs can hang over the edge and it's fine and safe... no worries about breaking legs or that he's uncomfortable.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm assuming you're using an infant seat. It's never too early to get a convertible as long as it remains rear facing til at least 30 lbs. But what makes you think he's uncomfortable? He's only 4 mos. Babies & toddlers are still very "soft" and can easily bend in all sorts of ways without pain or discomfort. If he's fussing, it's probably not cause the carseat is small. But go ahead and get the convertible. You'll need it soon enough anyway.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• get him a convertible car seat! I use the evenflo triumph, it has a reclining feature and sip.One of the best for saftey ratings and is pretty cheap at 130.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• check the carseatfor height and weight limit. mine is 20 lbs and 26 inches. and my ds is lil. his about 15 lbs and 24 inches. as soon as he hits the 26 inches am getting him a convertible carseat
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son was always comfortable in his infant carseat but he was just getting way to big for it so we bought him a convertible carseat and he hated it for alittle bit but now he is use to it and loves it. It fits a child from 5lbs to 100lbs. It was on sale at Babies R Us, normal price was 160 and we got it for 109 and 15% off.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 3:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If you feel he needs more room, you can get a convertible now. You will need it later anyway. My personal recommendation is the True Fit. Of course at this age you would keep it RF.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Hey check out my journals about carseats...bet he needs a convertible one that RFs to 35lbs or so and goes to much higher heights than infant seats....it can be turned FFing past 1 year and 20lbs...but best if you just use it RFing to the limits of the seats...either way check out my journals
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1465317/MY_carseat_recommendations_with_PICS
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1466932/Budget_car_seats_convertible_and_harnessed_booster
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1460514/Rfing_to_age_2_is_the_safest_its_official
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2009