Have you ever...?

Have you ever totally laid your kid out on accident while turning to do something or reaching with out looking?

I smacked my almost one year old in the face, square in the nose, back on the floor, hitting her head (rug on kitchen linoleum, not much cushion and, yes, she was standing. she's been walking a couple months now.) this morning while reaching to turn her toy on that made music. I had NO idea she was there and reached out with my foot and there she was. I hit her with kind of the side of my lower leg. She cried so, that she didn't take a breath for a minute and I'm sure you all know that feeling!!!
So, she's fine! There was no blood or ginormous lumps or broken noses. But here I sit still feeling HORRIBLE!! I feel like a horrible mother even thought I'm sure this sort of thing happens!! How can I deal? Has this happened to you???

DirtyMonkey

Asked by DirtyMonkey at 2:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was pulling up the zipper on my daughters jacket and it broke and I uppercut her right in the face! I felt horrible for dayssssss, she was fine no blood or crazy things like that. But I still felt like I had smacked my daughter in the face on purpose, then she looked at me and reached for a hug afterwards like mommy y did u do that? my heart still breaks
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I am laughing because it has happened to me. I know the feeling. Poor Mommy and baby.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• :( accidents happen. Its ok, she'll forgive you and forget about it. I've had accidents before, so has my husband.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Wait til they knock you out. When my son was about 4, he was tired and wanted me to carry him. I'm only 5' and 110 so I told him he needed to jump when I counted to three. I bent over, reached under his arms and said ok, 1, he jumped, the top of his head caught me under my chin, rattled my teeth together and I actually saw stars for a minute. We laugh about it now, he's 18 and totally way bigger than I am. Accidents happen, as long as you're a good mom, don't worry about it. I know it feels terrible, but believe me, chances are, it won't be the last time something happens. You'll all laugh later.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 3:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Bumped her head a few times putting her into the car. I felt soo bad!
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I haven't knocked them down but I did cut one of my son's fingers when i was cutting his nails. His poor little finger was bleeding. I felt sooo bad and this was soon after he was born so the hormones were still raging! I went straight to bed with him and cried! I didn't even want to tell his dad because I thought he would be mad at me! I realize now I overreacted. You guys will be ok! Feel better!
    Anonymous

• It wasn't on accident, but on instinct I flung my son back a good foot when he reached over the gate and was less than an inch from touch the door I had just opened on the hot stove.
    Anonymous

• Reading these is making me cry more cuz it's causing me to keep thinking about it.....but, it does make me feel better!! :)

I have to admit I did chuckle a little when I read, "Wait til they knock you out." ;)

Thanks guys!!! :)

Any more stories? I could use all the encouragement I can get! Been having a bad few days and that little incident didn't help any!! :(
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 3:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think I have "taken out" all 5 of my kids at one time or another. LOL I can't think of any one example (good to know that you won't remember this years down the line LOL), but I agree with the "wait until one of your kids takes you out". OMG! I do remember the feeling of being smacked in the face, lips, cheeks, nose and head from a jumping, tumbling, or just plain ol' moving child. LOL
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I have taken out all of mine at some point and probably more then once, the only time that sticks out in my head though was when I took out someone else's kid at a McDonalds playground. I was trying to help one of my kids on the slide and I didn't hear a little one come up behind me, I kinda glanced back but he must have been just out of my sight and when I turned there he was, I tried so hard to miss him, I got bloody knee's and scratched up my hand's good, but I still took him down with me, I was so concerened about him, but he didn't even cry, his mom felt worse for me, cause I looked like a kid who just fell off her skateboard.

I can remember slipping on ice in the wal-mart parking lot and bringing my DD(2) down with me, but I was proud of myself, but I saved the baby who was in his car seat on the other arm :)
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009