Has anyone heard of these vaccinations?

My daughter is 15 and needs another round of shots. I thought it was just her tetanus shot but the doctor wants her to have HEP A, Menactra, and HPV. Have you heard of them? What are they for? Are they required for school?

drink-lover

Asked by drink-lover at 2:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Hepatitis A, Menactra (Menegocccol group) and HPV is for cervical cancer. Typical teen shots. NOne of which I would do.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I would def. get the all. They benefits of the shot out weigh the risks of them, especially as a teen.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I will not be getting my daughter the HPV vaccine. I've heard some bad things about it and it's just too new IMO. Besides that, girls can get it up until the age of 26, so if she wants to get it when she's old enough to look into that and make that decision for herself she can do that. The other 2 I have not heard of.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• The more the better.
    Anonymous

• NO NO do NOT get the HPV vax. it is NOT required.
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• my son also need hep a and menctra why would that be if it is for cervical cancer?

i assume these aren't required for school then.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 3:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• The HPV is for cervical cancer. They give these on the assumption your child is sexually active.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Some forms of HPV can cause cervical cancer. Boys can be carriers and pass HPV on to girls but obviously can't get cervical cancer, and as far as I know they don't get that vaccine. Hep A, sounds like a vaccine for hepatitis A and I just looked up menactra and it's a vaccine for meningitis.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• None of them should be required (in fact NO vaccines ever are) They are useless vaccinations! And are a danger... HPV is easy to avoid - Just don't have unprotected sex with infected persons... It's an STD. So, yes, while it's not something that you want your child to have, hopefully, it's not one she is really at risk for. IF she does get it then there is a chance she will get cervical cancer because that's what HPV becomes as it matures. Menactra is for meningitis. And while meningitis is a risk, it's a very low one!

My children have never been vaccinated, never will be! I almost died at 15 because my teatnus booster made my brain swell... Another caused inner ear and immune system damage... Do your self (and your kids) a huge favor and do some research before you get them, even if that means you push them back a week. Education is always the best answer...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If you choose to vaccinate (and I urge you to do a lot of research and make your own decision), have your doctor's office order single dose preservative free vaccines. If your daughter is already sexually active, she needs to be tested for HPV before she has the Guardasil.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2009