Did you let your teen practice driving in an empty parking lot with you there before letting them get your permit or should they get their permit first then practice?

My daughter will be 16 in march shes my first baby she is mature enough my DH and i feel and i wasnt sure weather or not her father should take her in the parking lot of a closed down store to practice driving before taking her to get her permit so she knows how to drive or do we take her to get her permit then let her drive? what did or would you do ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I suppose it all depends on how you feel about breaking laws and teaching your child to break laws.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My sister took my niece to an empty industrial park to let her practice and my best friend took my daughter to parking lot to practice while she was taking the class.

But be warned that if the teen gets caught behind the wheel before they have their permit, it can prevent them from being able to get it.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Most states require a driver's permit. They're easy to get, so just go to the DMV and get her one. They last for a long time, and allows you to legally teach her.

My mom took me to the local cemetary-- couldn't kill anyone!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I, personally, don't think teens SHOULD drive. I have a 20 y/o who has yet to learn to drive as well as an 18 y/o...you can teach your children all the rules and regs til the cows come home. I just think they are not ready to handle the responsiblities of the road. Besides, have you seen how people drive these days???
    Anonymous

• before i got my permit my dad just made me take snowmobiles, quads, go karts, and his race car out to drive in all different kinds of situations! Then when i took my permit test i passed and i took my driving test 1 month later and passed easyyy
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 3:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I SAY GET THE PERMIT FIRST THEN GO PRACTICE.

Answer by older at 3:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Permit first, my DS just got his and becuase DH and I were both farm kids the urge was strong to just let DS drive in parking lot or back roads before hand, because we both knew how to drive before 16, however I realized that ANYTHING could happen and these days it could be severe consequences, just not worth the risk.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• you don't have to drive in order to get your permit- but she does have to take a class and drive behind the wheel for at least 6 hours with an instructor. Then, she takes the test (which is a few basic questions) and then she can drive anytime with a licensed driver over the age of 25.

I drove a corvette in a dirt parking lot- but it wasn't for instructional use... I got to do donuts :) (before I had my permit)

My dad let me drive down the street.

My mom never ever let me drive and I hated it. (i lived with her)

I drove my friends cars any chance I got- which was just about everyday.

I learned how to drive from one of my really good friends in a parking lot... so that I could get my license.

I think you should let her without the permit- it's an experience worth having.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• All you have to do to get a permit it take a written test based on the drivers book. You dont need to have actual behind the wheel time to be able to get a permit. They do it that way so you can get the permit THEN practice for the real driving test. That's the law. You dont have to take classes in all states. In my state you dont. you just take the written test to get the permit.
    Anonymous

• My daughter JUST got her permit today. We toyed with the idea of letting her drive beforehand in the parking lot of an abandoned shopping center. The reason we didn't, and we made her take the class and get the permit is because we have a lot of friends that are LEO's and we found out that not only would she be in trouble for driving without a license if she got caught, but we would be arrested and jailed for allowing it. The permit is too easy to get, the gains aren't worth the risk.
    sassylas73

Answer by sassylas73 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009