how soon did you find out that your baby was or is left-handed

I've had a few ultrasounds - and every time i do my tech says that my daughter is going to be left handed because she's very dominant in the womb using her left hand - but i did some personal research and it said that you'd only be able to tell once they start reaching for toys around 3 months but you wont know before 5-6 years old (confusing) so how did that work for you ? (finding out if your baby is left-handed)

dorkish_face

Asked by dorkish_face at 3:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When DD started coloring she starting having a preference.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Im not sure...that is kinda strange the tech would say that. My DD colors with both, but she throws with her right, and bats with her left. I never really thought about it.
    Anonymous

• I knew my son would be left handed when he less than a year old. He would always reach for toys with his left hand, and especially when he started to self-feed, it was always with his left hand. The reason they say 5-6 is because that is when they learn to write, and you will know for sure at that time. My son started writing at 4, and always with his left hand. His friend is also left handed, and I have a picture of the two of them when they were like 18 months, sitting side by side, snacking on some crackers, and they are both eating with their left hands.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• There's really no set age limit you will know by until they learn to write really. When they are babies (in the womb and up to a year old) they go back and forth with which hand they use a lot.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I've wondered that too. My son will be 2 in a couple of weeks && I really think he is going to be left-handed like his dad. He uses his left for a lot of things, but he also uses his right for some things. I just stopped trying to guess && figured I'd find out for sure when he started writing..lol.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My daughter did everything with her left hand when she was younger. Now that shes coloring and feeding herself (she's almost 18 months) she does everything right handed.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 3:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Why have you had so many ultrasounds? If you don't have a medical condition, and you are not paying out of pocket then you are contributing to the high cost of our healthy care

Answer by rkoloms at 4:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• rkoloms wdf are you talking about ?
    do me a favor stfu !
    dorkish_face

Answer by dorkish_face at 5:21 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

•  I never heard of a baby being lefty with he/she is in the womb, that's something new!  When I first  noticed my daughter grab for things with her left hand when she was probably 6 months old. Once she started feeding herself I noticed she would use her left hand to reach for food and also use her fork and spoon. She also colors with her left, but what really confirmed to me that she's a lefty was watching her  bat with her baseball bat I just got her.  SHe is almost three now!

Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 5:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Children do not choose a dominant hand until they are around 5-6 years old (about the time they begin to write).
    veg4animals2006

Answer by veg4animals2006 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2009