Yorkie - diarrhea now has blood

My daughter just called and her yorkie (about 1 year old) has been having diarrhea for several days now. Today she thinks she is seeing small amounts of blood in the diarrhea. The dog doesn't act sick at all. Daughter and husband are newlyweds and on a very tight budget so they don't want to make a trip to the vet if it isn't necessary.

Any suggestions or comments?

Dyndudes

Asked by Dyndudes at 3:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pets

• It is necessary!!! That dog needs to see a vet immediately
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It could be worms in the intestinal tract or it could be early signs of other diseases. Unfortunately there is no way to know without the dog seeing a vet. Have her call around and see which ones are cheaper or provides a payment plan.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Hi - Sounds like he need to see the vet - Many need some antibiotics - They can get very sick very fast...

see here for help:

Shih Tzu with Chronic Diarrhea:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/6/4yr-shih-tuz-chronic.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 10:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If they don't take the dog to the vet, they are going to be sorry. That dog could be very sick, and may die on them if it's not seen right away. If they don't have enough money to take care of the poor dog, they should find it a new home with somebody who can properly take care of it. Dogs need to be seen by a vet when they are sick, if they can't afford this then they shouldn't have a dog.
    Anonymous

• by that discription it sounds like hes has worms or parvo in either way if the worms r that bad he need vet treatment if its parvo he need emergency care parvo can kill and unless its caught early the death rate is signifigante....if she cant afford a vet then she need to keep him hydrated and eating anything. boiled chicken, babyfood, anything is better then notheing
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:38 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The bloody stool is really not that surprising if the dog has had diarrhea for several days. His intestinal tract is probably not doing so well from having diarrhea for so long and can make the stool bloody. If my dog had diarrhea for more than about 2 or 3 days I would take it to the vet. Unless I knew specifically what the cause was. For instance, one of my girls gets sick from chicken. If I knew she had gotten into some chicken and had diarrhea for a few days, I wouldn't take her. But if I had no idea what had given it to her, I would take her in.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• UPDATE! OP here..........Daughter called the vet yesterday and he didn't seem too concerned due to the dog still eating, drinking, and acting fine. Said the blood was probably from having diarrhea for several days, intestines get irritated. I think that is what Chrisina807 said also.

Vet told her to give the dog some Pepto Bismal and wait 48 hours. Dog has not had diarrhea since taking Pepto.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 11:17 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Glad to hear it's doing better. With a small dog like that they can get dehydrated really fast when they have diarrhea. When my dogs get diarrhea I give them a little canned pumpkin (not pie mix). It helps.
    Anonymous