Do any of you moms out there feel ashamed to let your children see you cry??

I'm not overly emotional. I have some of the same problems and issues that face most parents. Sometimes, I get overwhelmed and may cry. If any of my kids see me in this state I get really embarrased and try to play it down.

danithegrrl

Asked by danithegrrl at 3:33 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• YOU SHOULDN'T FEEL EMBARRESSED OVER A TOTALLY NORMAL EMOTIONAL REACTION , BUT YET YOU TRY NOT TO AS TO NOT WORRY YOUR KIDS, MAYBE TOO YOUNG TO UNDERSTAND WHY.

Answer by older at 3:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm not overly emotional either, but if I'm super stressed occasionally I may cry. I try not to let my kids see me cry because it just seems like it would be "too big" for them to handle, if that makes sense. My oldest is only 5 and I'm not sure he would understand or know how to deal with seeing me do something like that, let alone my younger 2. So I'm not embarrassed, I just don't want to scare them or make them feel bad.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It is rough on little children to see their parent cry. For them the parent is the strong one, the one to take care of them, and crying makes them feel that the parent isn't as strong as they'd thought. On the other hand, there are times when seeing the parent crying is something that is part of life- when the parent cries over the death of a loved one or a pet, for example. The child needs to know it is OK to cry. So there are thoughts for and thoughts against. I've seen parents pretend cry to get a child's sympathy- it wasn't something I'd feel right about doing.

Answer by Bmat at 3:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yeah my daughter's only 4 months and I feel guilty if I cry in front of her. It's like she knows something's wrong. She gets really quiet, focuses so intently on my face, and is just really calm. It's kind of strange. I think I've only cried twice in front of her, once when me and SO got into an argument and I was crying while I was feeding her a bottle, and once SHE made me cry because I was so tired and she wouldn't go to sleep lol. Which I think just egged her on more, because than she cried even harder! That was when she was like a week old and I didn't know better yet :)
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Thanks for the input..and maybe "embarrassed" is the wrong term...but something along those lines.
    danithegrrl

Answer by danithegrrl at 1:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009