Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support expenses.

Recently my 8 year old son is being treated for behavioral issues. My son goes to therapy and although I have insurance I do have a co-pay of $25.00. My son sees his therapist once a week. While in therapy the Dr. advised me to have my son in daycare. In the past I would have my 14 year old help me out but I cant do that. I would also have my son attend an afterschool program which was free.

So with these new added expenses my sons father feels that he is not responsible for it. His wages are already being garnished for child support and provides medical ins. Now in the support order I did not ask for childcare and thats a new added expense.

Wouldnt he also need to be responsible for my sons added medical expenses. They want to do some testing to see if my son might have ADHD. My sons father has been inconsistantly in and out of his life and thats tends to cause some of my sons issues. Although dad says no.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Yes, he is responsible. You need to go and get your plan modified to accommodate the new daycare expenses etc. He is responsible for paying his percentage of that. You do NOT need an attorney for a modification. Call your court facilitator and ask where you could get the papers to fill out for that

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • I believe they are responsible for 1/2.
    Ask whoever garnishes his wages.

    Answer by Cherrie522 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • This is how I feel, if he is providing the medical ins. you should be able to pay the co-pay. You can always go back to court and see if it can be modified.


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • What he pays in child support is to go for total support of the child. All of his living expenses. The father is not responsible to pay anything more unless you want to take him back to court to see if you can increase the child support...based on the percentages, what he makes, etc. Watch it though...if he's making less than when you first started'll take a hit and receive less.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

  • IF the bills add up to a MAJOR difference you can go back and ask for CS to be modified. But please be aware that if he's paying to provide the medical ins. that's prob. a pretty big chunk already.
    It all depends. BEFORE going back to court I'd suggest going to your states CS calculator and plugging in some numbers and seeing what you get. Its not a "set" rule but it will give you some guidance. Also the fact that he is 8 makes a diff in the whole daycare situation (I believe its not even daycare it would be after school care and/or camp etc.)
    You'd have to have some pretty good documentation as to WHY he needs a specialized program rather than the free one already availabe. If its an after hours questions, be prepared to document your work hours.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009