Do you actually *like* being a SAHM? What do you do? How do you keep from getting bored?

I love my son, and I love seeing him grow up. BUT I am sooo bored all the time. I do crafts and have hobbies, but I am so unstimulated I could scream. I keep busy by cleaning and errands, etc. I am so MENTALLY bored that I could cry. I really hate being at home all the time and having no interaction. I am 21, married and very academically minded. I have one month until we go to part time daycare I go to school! I just need to get through the next month!

How do you keep mentally stimulated?

Again, I love my son. Be honest! Do you like being at home all day?

smarshy

Asked by smarshy at 3:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I love it. I have 3 children so there isn't much time to be bored, lol. I am a member of a local moms group though and I get together with some of the moms on there every so often for playgroups or mom's night out dinners or things like that. That does help, because no matter how much you love being with your children all the time you NEED adult interaction too.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• ROFL!!!!!!! Bored??? I haven't been bored in many, many years. Taking care of my kids, teaching them things (not school yet, just chores and baking with them, etc), errands, budgeting, church and church activities, dr appointments, cleaning, playing, fixing meals, whew. I am exhausted and always busy! I love to read so if I need to stimulate my mind I do reading. I loved school and sometimes miss it (I have a Masters) but I keep learning in other ways. I love being at home!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Oh my...you sound just me when I was your age. I ve always been very smart and needed interaction with other people. I promise it does get better. Do you have any friends your age? How about gettin ginvolved in a play group for your son. I know it doesnt feel like it but you really are doing the best for your son by being there for him everyday. He will get older and you might have other kids and life gets busier. I remember when it was just me and my daughter and I got bored some too. Her and I would go to mcd's and play in the playground and just generally pilfer around. Shes 15 now and those days are gone. Now we go shopping together and theres 3 more kids to entertain. Seriously, I know exactly how youre feeling. Try to meet up with moms in your area on CM. You can do a zip code search. I found one mom that way about 2 years ago and weve been good friends ever since and we go on vacation together....GOod luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Well, get out more. If you're unstimulated and bored at home, your son probably is, too! I was bored reading about it. There are plenty of places to go, and plenty of things to do, if you need to get out of the house. Or, bring something home. Create a playgroup / book club. I created a play group / coupon swap. I am active in some volunteer organizations. I read quite a bit, and I tutor math some, too. I can't relate to being excited about daycare, but I can relate to being excited about school. MIT offers free courses on-line. (http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm)

apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Lol @ apexmommy. I am 21 and have yet to have met a 21 year old in this college town who is a mother. There are not "plenty of places to go and do" when you are poor! I have also gone to a few mom groups in the area, but all moms I have met are in their 30's and are incredibly unrelatable to me. I also don't have a car.

I need something to do, not people to talk to about parenting or coupons.

I am not excited about daycare, I am excited about going physically to school. I have been taking online classes for a year. If it was possible for me to do anything outside of the house, I would be just as excited.

I need something to do inside the house.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 4:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm 19 and really love being here for my DD. I just hate the never ending housework. I use the internet for adult conversation and reading. She keeps me physically active -hyper toddler. I'd like more non-parental type fun. But I just don't want it enough to waste time away from my kid.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I love staying home with my son. Sometimes I don't get enough interaction with adults and that can wear on me. (mostly because my husband's job takes him away from us a lot) Other than that I love my life. Sorry you're bored, I don't have much advice for that.
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 4:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• There isn't a lot to do inside a house. Stay at home mom is a misnomer. Most of us don't "stay" at home. But if you are stuck at home (but I guess you'll be able to get to school???), then to pass the time, I'd find a way to have people over. Maybe they won't be your best friends, but I'll bet you'd find some 30 year olds that have something in common with you besides having kids. And you probably aren't the only young mom in the area, either.

Your original post says that you hate being at home all the time and having no interaction. I assumed that meant you'd like some interaction.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I hate it. I won't lie. I gave up my military career to be a SAHM so one of us could be home while my husband went back and forth to Iraq and Afghanistan. He's on shore duty now so I am going to start looking for employment. I spent 12 years in the military. It's not an easy switch to SAHM. My problem with employment is that I have been a SAHM for longer than 3 years and apparently prospective employers do not like that much. I enjoyed watching them grow up and spending time with them, but now I need to be around adults. Bash if you want, but you wanted honesty and I am giving it to you (anon of course since I always post in this section)
    Anonymous

• I really love being home with my kiddos. It's challenging at times, and I totally understand the feeling of not being mentally stimulated. I have 3 kids, and 1 on the way any day now, so bordom is rare, my to do list is insane and keeps me busy. I have hobbies I love like crochet that keep me busy, but reading when I can is what helps me feel like I'm excersizing my mind a bit more. I do bible studies with other SAHM's to keep my uplifted, and i try to pick a book that stimulates me academically. For example last year I went to the college bookstore and bought a math book, and just did it from front to back until it was done. It took me a whole year but it was tons of fun. My brother, who is in college, just sent me his english lit text book and reading material, he's done with the course. So I'll dive into first chance I get. I may never get a degree, but I have fun learning anyway.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 1:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2009