What if we do nothing to health care?

Washington, DC — How’s this for a health care plan? It will make your premiums go up—in fact, it will double health costs over the next ten years. It will strip millions of Americans of their coverage. It will send our deficit through the roof.

That, as President Obama recently pointed out, is the health care plan we choose by doing nothing. That is the status quo, and it will be the health care plan we end up with if health insurance reform fails.

Failure to reform health care might be a boon for some members of Congress, but it would be a disaster for middle-class families, for the 47 million uninsured Americans, and for small businesses across America.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts839;_ylt=Ao3GQTW8Eyv0MXM8_0gTG3aMwfIE;_ylu=X3oDMTJoMGJjNm9pBGFzc2V0A3luZXdzLzIwMDkwNzI3L3luZXdzX3RzODM5BGNwb3MDNQRwb3MDNQRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA29wLWVkaGVhbHRoYw--

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What about the 10+ million of the 47 million uninsured that are illegal immigrants?  I am not for reform so illegals can have better healthcare! I think that the system is seriously flawed but to completely overhaul all of healthcare is rediculous.  Why not reform health insurance?  That is where the cost is being driven up. 

Anonymous

• Health care costs and insurance premiums are already high to begin with, they will just get worse the longer nothing is done. It is simple math...

Uninsured person gets injured, goes to the hospital
    Gets treated (because hospitals cannot turn people away)
    Uninsured person receives the bill, does not pay
    Hospital has a choice: 1) eat the cost of the treatment they performed or 2) make up the cost by raising the price of services
    Hospital chooses the second choice and raises prices to cover the millions that they serve that do not pay bills because those people have no insurance
    Insurance company has 2 choices: 1) eat the cost of the now higher hospital expenses or 2) raise the price of the insurance plan
    Insurance company chooses option 2 and raises the cost of the insurance plans
    Those who are covered by insurance now pay more to cover the costs of those who do not pay

(con't)
    Anonymous

• I don't trust ANY figures that come from the government. They are always wrong.

I am a small business owner and I can tell you with certainty the bill currently in the house will cripple small businesses with taxes. The sur taxes they added will be paid first and paid on the total GROSS income. That doesn't allow a business to deduct ANYTHING before paying the tax. For me I will basically be paying a tax of the money I use to buy the fabric I use, I will be taxed on the money I use to pay the electric bill and the salaries. Then I am hit by that 8% penalty for not providing insurance. I don't have a single employee right now that isn't covered under their husbands plan.

I know you don't like me sweet and that is fine, I just wish you would try and see this issue from my point of view.

I do think some changes need to be made. My Dem senator has a good idea that no one will listen to. That's silly.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• (con't)

Insure everyone and there will be fewer people skipping out on hospital bills, more people will be able to go to a regular doctor instead of having to rely on the hospital, hospital doesn't have to raise the prices to cover those who don't pay (there will still be some who don't pay, but fewer than presently), insurance companies do not have to charge more to cover the higher hospital costs. Simple and effective and better for everyone in the nation (not just money-wise but health-wise as well).
    Anonymous

• There isn't a d*** person that wants to do nothing. Not one. The bill on the table is expensive, over reaching and does not produce results that are consistent with the cost.

Shoving a half as*ed bill through congress is not the answer either.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• And the stimulus is going to keep the unemployment rate from going over 8% and create then changed to save how many jobs?? There are ways to fix healthcare without this farce of a bill.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think the bill is a way to control population.
    Anonymous

• HOw about we REFROM medicare and medicaid and take slow methodical steps to improvement. Why do we have to be forced to spend one trillion dollars?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• What about the 10+ million of the 47 million uninsured that are illegal immigrants? I am not for reform so illegals can have better healthcare! I think that the system is seriously flawed but to completely overhaul all of healthcare is rediculous. Why not reform health insurance? That is where the cost is being driven up.

and what about the MILLIONS of AMERICANS? You would punich them so some immigrants don't get covered? and guess what, you still pay for them illegals anyway as well as teh millions with no insurance, in more ways than you can imagine. Health insurance co. stated they WONT change. Testified before congress that they will keep business as usual...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

Because you are crazy

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009