When do I switch my toddler to lower fat milk?

My just turned two year old son is very skinny and I hesitate to switch yet. What age was your child when you changed, and what did you change to?
Thanks.

yalomsita

Asked by yalomsita at 3:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son will be 2 in a couple of weeks && is still drinking whole milk. I have no plans to switch him to a less fat milk. You don't have to, unless instructed to do so by a doctor.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I believe it is around 2 or 3 yrs old.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Mine have always been on 2%. They don't drink enough milk in a day for the fat content to matter, anyway.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My 2 year old is skinny too. I switched when she turned 2 to 2% and then went down to 1% the next week. I have yet to go to fat free. Her doctor recommended it due to heart disease in adults. He said the clogging of the arteries begins in childhood and the less fat the better beginning at the age of 2. My daughter loves the 1% milk. BTW, we also only drink organic milk.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son was about 2 when his pediatrician told me to switch to 2% but my son is bigger then most kids his age. So the whole family drinks 2% now.
    Anonymous

• My kids all still drink whole milk, but in this house it gets confusing. DD is supposed to be on soy milk because she has stomach issues with regular milk. My ds 7 is supposed to be on whole fat milk because he is severly underweight, and my youngest is supposed to be on fat free because he is a little overweight. I can't afford to buy all three, so we buy whole and monitor the intake of the younger two.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It depends on your child's weight. My daughter is very thin and the doctor recommended whole milk until she was 5. Even now it would be ok, but I switched her to 2% just to make it easier. If you have a chubby child, then switch to 2% or 1% at 2 years old.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 4:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• my son from the begining of the toddler years has been drinking 2% milk, at the begining he drank alot of it, now he drink 3 glasses a day one with each meal and then between lunch and dinner he get 1 or 2 cups of juice but breakfast he get water between that and naptime
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• doctors usually recommend switching at 2, but it depends on your family and your child.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• WIC is changing our program in October (by then ours will be 2.5 y/o), that after 2 y/o they will only allow you to have 2%, 1%, or skim. We are going 2%. We used to drink 2% before little man came, and he drinks it at grandparents, so no big deal. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't change him from the whole milk.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2009