What is the most important to you in a babysitter?

I placed an add in the paper this weekend for a babysitter, my luck I received over 20 calls! Thanks God! I am hoping at least one is a great fit for our family! We are in the middle of meeting them and interviewing. So my question is what is most important to other Mommies out there when interviewing babysitters? I am just looking for a few good questions to ask them! Any ideas or advice?

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would want to know the people referring the babysitter (I only use people other parents have told me about) and how they interact with my child. I would want to watch the sitter interact with my child to see how she handles him and his needs. I also want my child's sitter to know how to handle various types of emergencies or accidents (not only the 911 ones).
    Jonsmommy408

Answer by Jonsmommy408 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Do they have an idea of kids needs..not too much tv, taking them outside to play, craft time...I would ask them how they plan the day. Obviously you need osmeone flexible too, but Ive had babysitters that put NO thought into it, so I would rather have some sort of an idea that they do a craft during the week and try to swim 2 days/wk. You know something like that to show they are varying the activities. Also nutrition is important and not leaving the house a mess. i would rather they play and have afew things out when I get home, but Ive come home to a trashed house. Mostly I want to know my child is safe first, having fun second and house not trashed 3rd..everything else I tend to let slide.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Make sure the person is Red Cross certified in CPR

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Make sure that they actually like kids. You can tell. If they have a short fuse or seem like they don't have any feelings towards your child at all thats a bad sign. I'd also make sure not to run off a great sitter by being too demanding of them. Its your childrens happiness and safety that is most important. I personally think it is a bonus if they are a sahm and don't mind them bringing one child to my house as a play date. At least that way you know they love children and obviously want to spend time with their own! I've found my children end up having a better and happier time when the sitter brings along a friend.
    Anonymous