If they can have a beer together, why can't we all just get along?

When President Obama said last week that the whole incident involving Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Sgt. James Crowley of the Cambridge police department could be worked out over a beer at the White House, he wasn't speaking figuratively. CNN is reporting today that the White House has confirmed that the president is to meet with the two men this week to do just that.

As Press Secretary Robert Gibbs explained on "Fox News Sunday," "the president believes this can be a teachable moment." And what better way to begin putting things in perspective in the dog days of summer than to serve a cold beer.

As for drink orders, CNN says Obama will be having a Bud and Crowley a Blue Moon. No word yet on Gates' beverage of choice.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

•    And your point is ??????

Anonymous

• All that proves is Crowley is climbing into bed with the popular crowd. Goodie for him. Hope his 15 minutes of fame it worth the fleas he'll take home.
    Anonymous

• Wow. Maybe Obama can invite Bin Ladin over and work everything out over a Bud, so we call pull the hell out of Afganistan.
    Anonymous

• Sure, you can settle anything when you're drunk. Way to go Oblahblah.... make us look like a country of alcoholics.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• "Teachable moment"? LOL how condescending...what is Gate's going to teach Crowley that he REALLY is a racist? and he best change his ways? Is Obama going to say "no arressting black folks no matter what they are doing just white folks" ? lol..........."teachable moment" my arse this president is ridiculous.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• anon :33 took the words right out of my mouth. Crowley, you freaking sell-out!
    Anonymous

• I hope Crowley listens to the two highly educated men talk ... Then I hope Crowley politely asks for his apology.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• This president is an idiot as well as a racist. He is not too fond of white people, and neither is his ridiculous wife.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• affirmative action president! LOL I cannot wait until this fraud is out of the WH and hopeuflly in 2010 Pelosi,Dodd,Fwank,Reid all of including the RINO's will be GONE.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Wow I love the way Obama in his teachable moment is promoting alcohol to solve Americas problems.....I wonder what beer company endorsed his campaign.......to me this beer message is trashey.....well look at who is saying it.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 6:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009