My nephew gets on my nerves! how do i be mean in a nice way?

He is 11 yrs old and my husbands sisters son! he is the oldest grandchild and is spoiled to the teeeeee! Let me explain mabye i am making something outta nothing! My husband only has a sister! She has 3 kids that are 11 9 and 2 and none of them have a father in there life! and shes not a good mother so i give him that! our oldest is 6 but shes not bloodly my husbands hes been raising her since she was 4 months though! we also have a 5 2 and 5 month old that are all his! his family treats my kids way diffrent! even my husband says they do! he only has one uncle and that one uncle gives anything to my neice and nephews shoot yesterday he bought them a go cart just cause! But he wont even buy my kids anything for there bday or christmas but he make sure to get something for my nephews and neices! and he gives it to them right in front of my kids! My husbands grandma is the same freakin way! she spoils those kids rotten and .....

Perdy

Asked by Perdy at 4:06 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Honestly - it sounds like you have issues with the grandparents showing favoritism to kids other than yours. That's #1 to deal with.

#2 - agree with above - if they don't treat your children fairly, don't let them treat your children at all. Don't be around them.

#3 - if this child is lying about the way you treat him, then simply let them know he isn't welcome in your home.

#4 - if your husband isn't supportive of that... that's a whole other issue between the 2 of you.

#5 - it's not okay to be mean to the child, no matter how "nicely" you do it. He's probably envious of your childrens' lives --- stable home, 2 parents, etc.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• .... and kinda does that with my husbands oldest the 5 yr old but doesnt pay any attention to my other 3! My husbands parents are the same way they only pay attention to his first real child! any way m y nephew tells everyone that when he stays over here that i yell at him and make him clean and do everything and they all get mad at me and dont let me stick up for myself! its gotten to the point that when he is over here i wont even talk to him! the only thing ive ever asked him to do in the past was pick up his clothes and put his dishes n the sink!!! hes 11 he should be capable of doing that! and the thing is he never complained to me about doing it! but the next thing i knew i was being yelled at by my mo n law for yelling at him and raising my hand to him! and if i tell my husband anything about not wanting him here anymore he gets pissed off at me! i dont know what to do please HELP???!!!!!
    Perdy

Answer by Perdy at 4:10 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It is reprehensible to be mean to a child..period. Shame on you!
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 4:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If theyre gonna treat your kids like crap why do you still let them see them?
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• This sounds like issues with his whole family not just the nephew. Just be nice. It's not the kid's fault. Tell the adults to be even to all the kids.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Id staya way from all of them.
    Anonymous

• Ignore him.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 12:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2009