For the moms of toddlers who are and were in speech therapy?

did it help? how soon did you see an improvement? and i have a baby due in 18 days and 2 days after i get home from the hospital my son has to go and get his hearing tested, should i take my newborn or no? i dont really wanna leave him with anyone, my appt is at 8 in the morning and i figure ill be in a different room and the whole thing will take and hour at the most so would it ok to take my new baby or no?

Mamaof2boys0709

Asked by Mamaof2boys0709 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd call ahead and see how the hearing test will be set up. That way you'll know of any potential problems in brining the newborn. My son started Early Intervention (which largely focused on speech delay) at 18 months. It was about three months before I saw improvement at which point he improved rapidly. Also, they may teach some signing which I found to be very helpful. I was wary of it at first but it gave him a means to communicate while they worked on language skills then he just paired the word and the sign. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Speech is great!! i It won't happen overnight but say you visit family you have not seen in 2 months they will tell the difference. I would say find a sitter hearing tests are important and your child may need you to help him with any melt downs and believe me they happen when getting tested for hearing. You could be at the appt. for 2 or more hours. Either way if he does have a speech delay speech will work wonders and signing to. Just as the other mom said I was leary with my DD learning sign well now not only does she talk great she is fluent in sign.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 4:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Your toddler has to sit on your lap, you have to be there. Take the baby. It's going to sleep through the whole thing anyway...what is the issue there? Leave it in the carrier beside you.

I have two sons in speech and there has been a lot of improvement. My youngest is finally talking and the older one is finally understandable. Speed of improvement depends on the kid. If he's a fast learner or stubborn (my youngest is the stubborn one). Some catch on and improve faster than others...but stick with it no matter what. It can only help. It can't hurt ever.
    Anonymous

• I couldn't make my son's first evaluation, so my mom took him. You may be in the hospital on the day of your son's eval, so you should make backup plans. As long as it is somebody he is comfortable with (dad, grandparents) it will be ok.

My son has only been in since January. He's made improvements (mostly in terms of how much he says; still working on quality of sounds). One of the great side effects is he is getting exposure to a classroom setting because he is going through the elementary school's PreK speech program.
    Jonsmommy408

Answer by Jonsmommy408 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Speech was a god send for my daughter! At 3 years old she only said a few words. After just a few weeks in speech she was already started to talk more. It is well worth it!
    TheWAHM

Answer by TheWAHM at 4:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• O.K. when my daughter was 2 she started speech therapy. What they do is they take the child into a sound proof room. That way he doesn't have to wear those big headphones. I don't recommend taking the baby with you. If it is just you then you should be able to sit quietly behind him. If the test is inconclusive they can order a sedated one. That will measure brain waves. My twins had to have that one.
    Speech was a wonderful thing for my oldest. Like I said she started at about 2. She was about a year behind. By 3 she had completly caught up and passed her peers. We opted for "speech preschool" since she just really needed to be with other kids and adults that didn't anticipate her requests.
    My twins on the other hand have hearing problems so speech wasn't as productive as quickly for them. It took them up till about 3rd. grade, to catch up.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• All 3 of my boys were in speech therapy and it worked for them. With my youngest, we caught it sooner then with my 2 older ones and now he is back on track. Good luck!
    Anonymous