Should my 6 month old be able to play with her toys the correct way?

I feel like the 6 month old toys are too much for my daughter. She pretty much just puts them in her mouth. Should a 6 month old really be able to put a ball in a basket or shapes in the correct hole?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 4:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally think at 6 months if it does, then its a coincidence. The age on the box usually just means that toy is safe for that age. The coordination for that type of play will come later. EVERYTHING of course goes in the mouth NOW! haha
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• no, she's a baby she's fine lol
    Anonymous

• my daughter couldn't at that age. they are learning to explore in everyway, alot is by mouth. Maybe your child is trying to find out if she can eat the toys.
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 4:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yes she is doing it like a normal 6 month old. They put everything in their mouth.
    Anonymous

• no, toys are designed to *encourage* development. So playing means nto being able to do it yet. Most of the baby toys were enjoyed closer to a year with my daughte.r
    Anonymous

• No, and don't go by the things on the packaging, that only means they are safe for babies that age.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• no but they can have them and learn what to do with them in time

Answer by admckenzie at 4:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I didn't realize there was a correct way to play LOL, but no, toys at that age go in the mouth, she will figure things out in her own time, right now its all about the color, taste, texture etc...where it really goes, comes later.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• kids will eat toys until they turn 16 lmao! rightnow a baby explores things and textures by their mouth. my daughter is 8 months and won't een play with her things. she wants her brothers hot wheels. not becuase they are colorful and go vroom...because they scratch her gums

babies will figure things out on their own. let them. don't try to force something. you can play with them but son't get discouraged because they don't get it right
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• www.whattoexpect.com
    ssnelson26