How do i get my 2 year old son to stop hitting and throwing stuff at people? he knows it's wrong but he still won't stop!!!

when he hits or throws things at people he gets sent to his room for about 10 min. it got him to stop biting but it isn't working with the hitting problem. you can tell he knows it's wrong because a lot of the time when he hits someone he will point to his room.

tRiPsGiRl

Asked by tRiPsGiRl at 7:43 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• time out.. might take alot of effort. but it helped my two year old
    pumpkinpie0516

Answer by pumpkinpie0516 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Sometimes even a two year old understnads concepts like pain, or feelings. My son is 2 and a half and he had a huge hitting problem. It's mostly for attetion. He hits, you look at him, or send him away. The biggest thing that helped my son stop hitting was lack of attetion. He was on time-out and it a point was made that he couldn't look at, talk to or sometimes even be in the same room with the person he hit. We even got to the point where who ever got hit would just get up and walk away without a word said. My son stopper after two weeks. We sat with him and reminded him that every time he hits someone it hurts like how he gets hurt when he falls down. Also he responds well to "I" statements. ("I don't like when you hit" "I don't like that you do that" and "I love you but I don't always love the things you do")
    xvgarnetpixievx

Answer by xvgarnetpixievx at 8:00 PM on Jun. 22, 2008