a little boredom. a little tv is okay right.. after a crazy busy weekend

saturday my son and i who is two went to chuckie cheese.. then sunday we went swimming twice.. and then.. i got him a new vetech play computer at walmart.. and i swear my kid is add or something bc he is already bored... i brought out some play dinoasuars in front of little bill.. and he is screaming at me trying to get outside.. and i feel like a horrible piece of crap..i need to cook and freeze today and laundry.. i fully plan on going to the pool like late afternoon with him.. but is bored okay sometimes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes bored will breed creativity! He will figure out how to entertain himself which is a very valuable skill for the future!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 4:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yes, it is OK at times for him to be bored. He needs to learn to entertain himself and if you are playing entertainer all day, he will never learn. Your doing just fine.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• absolutely!!! Children need to learn how to entertain themselves! If you cater to him every time he whines he will grow up expecting you to always find something for him to do. You'll never get a moment's peace and he'll never learn how to take care of himself. Let him play in the room by himself for 15-20 min. at a time, never be too far away, but don't run to him every time he cries either. He'll learn that he is ok by himself and that your not leaving. :) Good luck
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think he needs to develop some self entertaining skills. My son is also 2 and I let him watch tv from time to time, but I take him outside to play most of the time. I have things to do during the day as well, but I have a very small back yard that is fully fenced. I let him play by himself for a while. I can see him the whole time through my kitchen window, and I leave the back door open for him to come in when he needs something or he is done. You could make him homemade playdough. That can have endless hours fun and creativity.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 5:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I have 3 sons of my own under the age of 5, and I think there are three important lessons your son can learn from your situation:
    1) As others have mentioned, he learns to entertain himself.
    2) He learns he is NOT the center of the universe. (Still working on that one with my 4-year old! lol)
    3) By seeing you prioritize your domestic responsibilities in this way, he learns industriousness. At some point, he will even want to help you around the house (even tho you might not want him to 'cuz it's a whole lot easier to just do it by yourself!! lol), and you can then turn these moments into teaching times which will become really great memories down the road. I think that watching Mommy going about her job and taking care of her domestic responsibilites with a cheerful heart sets a good foundation for a child to grow up to be a responsible adult.
    KnitPicky

Answer by KnitPicky at 6:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• The more you do  for him, the more he will want you to do.  At this age, you might want to get him started (i.e. Can you build something with these blocks?  Mommy will come back to see what you built after I do the dishes).  Here are some ideas to get him started http://www.cjkidz.com/Summerfun.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 6:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• just remember this important thing.... you cannot make everyone happy all the time. you may be his mom but you are not there to entertain him 24 hours a day. encourage him to read, draw, color, play cars. if he cries, let him, he will get bored of that too and find something else. good luck.
    KayLidsterItani

Answer by KayLidsterItani at 7:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009