Speach

My son will be two in August he is having difficulty learning words all he will say a dadada, Is there any thing i can do to help him develop his speach?

DragoFly

Asked by DragoFly at 4:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I recommend talking to his doctor first. I don't know if your child has a speech delay. Your doctor would.
    Some helpful hints...point out everything to him, say the word, repeat it...stop, it's red and has the letters S T O P..stop..means mommy needs to stop ahead...have a print rich environment...make signs and say the word, repeat it...etc...there are some great ideas on helping children...pictures, picture cards, abc cards etc...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 4:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I would schedule an appoint with early intervention and request an evaluation. It is a nationally mandated program and all states have to provide services if needed. They will provide a speech therapist to will come to your house for sessions at no charge. My daughter has been in speech therapy for three months now. The speech pathologist comes to our house one a week and works with my daughter for about an hour then we discuss what my husband and I can be doing during the week to help her progress. It is a wonderful program! In the mean time read a lot and point out pictures, also talk about everything you see. Sort of narrate your day like, "Oh look a tomato, can you say tomato? Tomatoes are red" It will feel silly at first but will soon become a habit you won't even notice you are doing.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 5:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Oh yeah also get his hearing checked!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 5:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• def call early intervention, i did so with my daughter, they do the eval and hearing check for free, therapy cost, if any, is determined by income and number of people in the household (if insurance won't cover all of it). talk about everything like the above post said, you won't even realize you are doing it after about a week. ask him to say just sounds not a whole word, when he masters a sound (like "k" for cat or so forth) add more to the sound until you've added the whole word. do toddler flash cards with him, show him the picture say what it is (or just point out pictures in books) ask him to make a sound for that word. does he follow direction? if you ask him to put away a ball does he do it, pick up a toy, go sit down? this lets you know if he understands what you are saying and its just a problem with saying it. but it could be more than just a slight delay so def get an eval done.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I agree with what was stated above I was in similar situation My youngest son is a little over 2 and he was having trouble with speech, we took him to a program called help me grow and tested his receptive language (how much he understood )he did well with directions and then they gave us a recommendation for our ped. from there she sent us to the children's hospital for hearing screens where we found my son had a build up of fluid behind his ear drums and they actually put tubes in his ears just this month to drain the fluid and since his surgery he has been speaking more ...basically one of the first questions you have to answer is can they hear me properly? and then if not see why its actually a common cause for children not to speak on time developmentally

JennieHudson510

Answer by JennieHudson510 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I would definately speak with your doctor and maybe a speech pathologist. If there is a significant delay it could be a sign of other issues and it could be nothing. Don't stress yourself out until you speak with someone and have him evaluated! Good luck!!!
    ohmommamia

Answer by ohmommamia at 3:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009