my one year old won't/can't swallow meat....I need advice

My son turned 12months on July 11th. he eats cheerios, bread, banana's, crackers, and nutrigrain bars without problems....however whenever I feed him meat, hotdogs, chicken, beef, he only chews it in his mouth but won't swallow. I give him tiny pieces(about the size of my pinky nail(which is very short for I bite my nails) he will continue to try to get food and just store the older food in the side of his cheek. last night he got so much in there that he choked and i had to fish it out. since then we are on jarred baby food stage 3 to make sure he gets his meat in him. I don't know if this is anything to worry about?

8firsttimemom8

Asked by 8firsttimemom8 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it may just be the consistency of meat that is throwing him off. when he chews other things it mushes up pretty well, but with meat, unless its pureed it doesn't swallow as easily as other foods. just try offering it a few times a week and eventually he'll figure it out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Actually its very common for a kid to do. Ive known several kids who do this. My Little sister did it for a long time. My Mom would make her spit it out after to long. As she got older she learned though. It wouldnt hurt to ask his Doc
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 5:02 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Don't worry about it! Kids don't need meat they need protein so just make sure he is getting his protein from other sources like eggs, peanut butter, beans and tofu.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 5:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I never give my child (14months )meat like steak or hot dogs because of the choking hazard. I give her things like chicken and ground hamburger but I make sure it's kinda mashed before I give it to her. The other foods you listed are great but I would back off the meat or chop it very fine and not in pieces.

Anonymous

• I know gerber sells those little hotdogs that are like and inch long and very soft. You can try those.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Humans don't need meat. Hot dogs are loaded with nitrates and other poisons, why would you feed this to a baby?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• You really don't have to worry so much about it. It is a texture thing, and 12 m/o is just starting to appreciate the differences in foods. You might try the Banquet Salisbury Steak family dinners. (6 patties for $2.42.) The meat is very easy to chew, and you can smash a bit of it into mashed potatoes. Our FS lived off of this and ckn nuggets for a while it seemed, but really more toward 15-18 m/o. Also, hot dogs are a HUGE choking hazard. A 2 y/o boy in our town died of choking on a hot dog last year, the EMT's came but couldn't get it up or down. They are too dense. We tried the Gerber & Vienna & ours didn't like them. Anyway, also I think you are supposed to wait until 2 y/o for peanut butter because of allergies. Just keep offering him the food, try not to introduce too many, too fast. Something he likes for sure & 1 other thing to taste. Also, try the meatballs in Spaghettios & Ravioli that are smashed to "paste" w/fork.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• At 12 months, I would just continue the stage 3 and let him set the pace. Offer him things from your plate, a bite or so, just to see. Also, if you are worried about him not getting enough iron,, there are infant vitamin drops with iron, that you can mix into his juice, etc. It's over the counter and you can get them at Walgreen's / CVS or maybe even Walmart.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• put it in a processor and sneak it in some dishes!
    wowof3bbs

Answer by wowof3bbs at 7:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009