how can i get my daughter to eat more?

well my daughter is a picky eater. shes almost 2 and is still on the bottle but not during the day. in the morning she wont really eat brkfst just drinks some milk mabye cookies or something. then for lunch i usually just give her a graduate meal she usually just eats half. at night i cook but still only eats a lil bit. when she goes to bed shell have 1 or 2 full bottles still which ive been trying to get her off the bottle but its soo hard. anyway ive told her doctor but i guess her weight is normal but i feel like she eats so little. i think she weighs 25-30lbs but her brother is 3months and weighs 15lbs. any suggestions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• By two, there is no reason to give a child milk; the only beverage she needs is water. It is normal for toddlers to be picky, it is not normal to give a picky eater a cookie - this is a toxic reward for bad behavior. She is old enough to eat what the rest of the family eats. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes should make up at least 90% of what you all eat. Here is a "treat" you can make and eat together: Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado
    Blend until smooth; let your child t

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• its tough to get toddlers to eat. If you want to just up her calorie intake, get the Carnation Instant Breakfast powdered drink mix. It will help her put on some weight without having to resort to giving her butter and ice cream like some docs suggest (I don't see the nutritional merit in that, at least the Instant Breakfast has vitamins protein and calcium in it)
    You can also try offering more of a variety of foods. If she will only eat half a graduate meal, try giving her some yogurt with it, or cheese.. something thats full of protein like peanut butter crackers. Also, try to skip any sugary sweet stuff like cookies (not sure what kind you were talking about I know they have great toddler cookies that aren't bad for them) Have snacks on hand during the day so that she can eat as she wants to, many kids graze during the day too.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• oh, and you can get a liquid multivitamin to add to her milk if she doesn't eat enough of the 'main staples' They sell them at Whole Foods stores, and I'm sure lots of other places too.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I have the same problem with my daughter, but she is only 1. She loves the yo baby yogurts, so she has one of those every day for breakfast. At lunch I usually give her some cut up chicken breast and cheese or a peanut butter and grape jam sandwich and dinner she eats what we eat. Most of the time, she only eats a little bit and then starts spitting out the food. She has about 4 6-8oz bottles of whole milk a day. I was going to change her to 2%, but since she doesn't eat much I figure the milk is pretty important. I always try to give her solids first though. Once she spits out the food, then I figure she is done and about an hour later, I give her milk. It is stressful though.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I personally would start giving less milk. Milk is VERY filling. Especially whole milk. I would limit milk to 16 oz. a day less if she is eating yogurt or cheese. I would give a few oz. of milk at breakfast and then her solids. she can have more milk after she eats. I would not give milk between meals. At lunch i would serve water. At snack I would serve water. at dinner I would give milk after she ate some solids. at night I would give one bottle of milk followed by teeth brushing and bed. If she needs a bottle in bed I would switch to water. It would not be easy for sure but it sounds like she is totally filling up on milk and not eating. Milk is good in moderation. Talk to her ped and double check how much dairy she recommends for your child per day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My ped said her diet is fine.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If your child is one year or older throw those bottles out!!!
    Your child does not need a bottle to go to sleep!!!
    Anonymous

• Anon, how do you know what someone else's child does and doesn't need? Not all babies are ready to give up the bottle when they are 365 days old. There's no magic age. Some people are real idiots. My daughter is not ready to give up her bottle. She wants nothing to do with sippy cups and when we are out I try to use regular cups with her, but the only way she intakes a reasonable amount of liquid is through a bottle.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I'm confused...Are you (Bridget) the op?
    Anonymous

• No, but the anon was obviously talking to me.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2009