Giving a baby water?

Its been hot here and even with the a/c it can get up to 78-80 degreese in the house. Would it be bad to give my 9 month old a sippy cup of water? Only an ounce or 2 while she has a snack. I doubt she'd drink much if any at all.

MommyLee08

Asked by MommyLee08 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It wont hurt the baby, but GOOD, luck because most kids that little will not drink water at all.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:28 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Nope. At 9 months an oz or two is fine. Emi gets water with her solids.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• it is fine to give her water i did with both of my kids. It is better than most drink they make now.
    Haven_Doug1013

Answer by Haven_Doug1013 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I didnt give my daughter water until she was 1 and it is hot where I live also, I would say no only because I am afraid that she may choke with the water being alot less thick than milk.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 5:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• also vbruno, my dd LOVES water. If you don't intro juice, then they DO drink water. IME anyway.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Go right ahead. My little guy has always loved water actually. If she won't drink it though, put just a tad of juice in it so it tastes better.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My pedi said we can start water in a sippy at 6 months. Right now my 9mo old has one larger sippy a day of water. It won't hurt him at all.

I started my 3yr old on water at 6 months too. She prefers water now over anything. We were at a party and they had Sprite, she thought it was water and started gagging when she drank it. She gave her cup to another girl and got herself a glass of water instead.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 5:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• my dr said it would be ok but no more than a couple ounces a day. i also have family overseas in Lebanon and it is normal for them to give there newborns water in the hot seasons. if your baby doesn't do well with the water you will know. also try pedialyte, it gives a little more than water.
    KayLidsterItani

Answer by KayLidsterItani at 7:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• water has no nutrition & babies need all they can get- no to water until about 7 months
    & even then they don't need it often- don't fill up our baby with zero nutrition - use bottle until 1 yr
    using baby cereal around 4 months, & baby food around 6 months
    start introducing real food about 8-9 months old (still using bottle)
    I know a baby that had issues because his mom took him off the bottle too early.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009