How well do you take "constructive criticism" on your parenting skills?

A friend of mine (who has no children) told me yesterday that she's concerned that my son is pushing me around, and that she thinks I should reach out for some help from others in our church group.... all because my 3 yr old son got sassy with me at church breakfast and threw his fork on the floor. LOL!
I told her "No offense, but you have no idea what it's like...you don't have kids. I'm doing the best I can." Now she's offended, and called the leader of the group crying about how mean I was to her... OMG... are you serious?
So I wanted to ask... how well do you ladies take criticism about your kids behavior, and what do you say or do when some well-meaning busybody butts into your business?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 5:27 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• im no bothered by it
    Anonymous

• I think in this case, the constructive criticism was hypothetical, considering that the person criticizing can't possibly empathize. And you were right to call her on this.

In my personal case, it would all depend on who was giving the "criticism". But in most cases, I might tell them to mind their own business.

So the answer to your question is, "not very well."
    Micksbabe

Answer by Micksbabe at 5:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• depends on who is giving it
    Anonymous

• i just posted something on this about my family. i think i took it pretty well =) in your situation, i probably would have laughed at the woman and said something like, oh you're so funny, you tell the best jokes! and walked away. and she would have been standing there looking confused lol
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 5:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Ask your friend when she got her degree in child psychology.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• in your situation, i would have said something too. She was wrong to say something, and then to make a fuss about it when you had a diff. opinion.

As for me, depends on who's giving it. If it's someone who knows my family, i'll listen (like parents, siblings, etc.)...people who see us on a weekly basis and know the in's and out's. If it's someone who is just a freind, i would probably just tell that friend they don't know the whole situation and it's being handled by me, so for them not to worry about it. If it's someone i don't know well, i would tell them to mind their own business. And if it's someone i don't know well, and they don't have kids, i'd probably laugh at them!
    Anonymous

• I can't believe she had the nerve to say that. She has no idea how it is. I would have said something to If I was you. If someone tells me how to raise my kid that does not know what's going on or especially doesn't even have kids I would be upset.  But if it is a close friend or my mom or m/i/l I wouldn't be upset depending on what they said it's a touchy situation.

LandonsMom321

Answer by LandonsMom321 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• if they can relate to my stuation well and have been there! then i take it like a champ....but with your situation...i would have been sooo upset, you were right to call her out!
    wowof3bbs

Answer by wowof3bbs at 6:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• On my parenting skills? Not very well AT ALL. If I want advice, I will ask for it. Otherwise, I'm not interested in your opinion.
    LondonAsMommy

Answer by LondonAsMommy at 8:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• first reaction? i get so emotionally hurt but then., dont care!
    nat126

Answer by nat126 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009