what do u think about giving rice cereal to a 4month old?

my son is almost 4 months and is soo greedy. lol he eats every 2 hrs and eats about 4-6oz. he eats ALL day and still gets up in the night. so i started giving him rice cereal at night before his bottle it seems to help keep the milk down cause he was spitting up alot, however he still gets up during the night...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i fed all my kids rice cerial from 2 months and up. no harm
    Anonymous

• My daughter started rice cereal at a few weeks old. 4 months old is fine and normally when pedi's recommend starting cereal anyways,
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 5:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My daughter was put on rice cereal at 3 weeks...per her doctor. He gave it to her due to severe reflux. I put one formula scoop to each oz of water. I started my son on rice cereal at 4 months b/c of his appetite also. It's fine for them.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I was told to start at 4 mos... i started at 3.5. Sounds to me like your son is old enough for it!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• We started at 4 months on Doctors suggestion. My DS was a big boy and hungry! He did great with it! Some say to wait another 2 months, but if your DS is eating it fine and not doing the tounge thrust thing then I'd say he's ready!

I started with rice and did that for a few weeks then I tried oatmeal and by 5 1/2 months he was on veggies. Fruits followed at about 6 months.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• We started at 4 months.

Have you tried bumping the ounces? My guys were taking 8oz every 2-3 hours at 6 weeks and didn't cut back until they were eating table foods.

Cereal isn't going to do anything about sleeping. The more cereal he eats, the less formula so the fewer calories he's getting.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:55 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I don't think its good to do this until at least 6 mos. Personally.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Cereal won't make them sleep. It can even make them wake MORE. They sleep longer when THEY are ready to...what you do has nothing to do with it, really.

Rive cereal is pretty icky stuff. OK for sick parakeets. And for sticking up wallpaper. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 9:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I gave it to my son who was always hungry at 4.5 months after his doctor told me to. But, I never gave it in a bottle. I mixed it with some breast milk in a bowl and fed it to him with a spoon.

My doctor says it's fine to give it any time between 4 and 6 months depending on the kid.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2009