When is it "officially ok" to have A glass of red wine?

xoxneanxox

Asked by xoxneanxox at 5:44 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• During pregnancy, never.

After birth, if breastfeeding it is best to wait until the baby is no long nursing as often. You can have the drink while nursing your baby (because at that point there is no alcohol in your breast milk). Then it is best to wait 2 hrs before nursing again. No pumping and dumping required.

If bottle feeding, then as soon as the physical Oak's it.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 6:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• when ever you want. if you want a glass of wine at 8 weeks or 35 weeks. its fine. just stick to one glass dont over do that.
    sierra_paigexo

Answer by sierra_paigexo at 6:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Actually Hillmom.. many doctors recommend a small glass of wine daily throughout your pregnancy because it contains great antioxidants. Personally, I would recommend waiting till after the first trimester (when the baby's neurological system is developing) and then stick to less than 8 oz of alcohol a day.
    veg4animals2006

Answer by veg4animals2006 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• vrg4animals, I don't care what Dr's say because I know many who still give horrible outdated info. In addition, there are many more ways to get those antioxidants (pomegranates, red grapes since the antioxidants come from the skin of the grape, razberries, blackberries strawberries, oranges, plums, pineapple, kale chili pepper, red cabbage, Brussels sprouts, spinach, pecans, walnuts sun flower seeds, barley, oats, corn, cinnamon, oregano, etc) than an alcohol containing beverage, during pregnancy. With all the sources to get these antioxidants, I see no reason to risk a child's heath with the consumption of alcohol! Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with having a glass, but not during pregnancy, I see no reason for the risk! But that is just me.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 11:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009