• In the Spotlight:

SAHMs and kids who take the school bus pt. 2

I noticed in the other question a lot of moms said their kids take the bus because it is a waste of gas to drive them. Where we live if you want your kids to take the bus it is $300 per kid each year! Would your kids still be taking the bus then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• that's a completely different story
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Nope.

We live in a fairly rural school district, the middle school is about 9 miles away from us, so busing is free. I believe something like 80% of the students in our district ride the bus. Our district also owns their own buses instead of renting them. I am thankful for it quite often- especially when the weather is crummy, they have the buses running before most of us have our driveways shoveled.
    reelo

Answer by reelo at 6:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Yeah, where I live, we are about 13 miles away from the elementary school, so there is no way we would be able to drive our kids everyday. It's free here, but if we had to pay, I think I would look into homeschooling them.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I will not be a SAHM when my daughter is in kindergarten, so I'd have to pay, I suppose. If I was a SAHM, I would certainly drive her rather than pay.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• yea to ride the school bus here where i live its free. and my daughter enjoys it!
    MamaCole

Answer by MamaCole at 6:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My son goes to a in-district out of area school. I drive him. I wish I could send him on the bus!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My kids school is in our neighborhood so we could walk-ride bikes- or drive. I won't have my kids take the bus if I can drive them. The only time they would have to take the bus is middle school.
    Mommy2_two

Answer by Mommy2_two at 6:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I've never heard of paying for school bus services before because part of our town's taxes go to them and pay their gas and wages.
    If there weren't any bus services I would homeschool my girls because it would be a waste of my gas and time (30 minutes each way = 2 hours per day) to take them.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If the school is public and not within walking distance of the homes there should be free busing. Not everyone has a car to drive their kids to and from school. I didn't when my dd went to public school. The school was several miles away on top of a huge hill and all the roads leading to it were not designed for pedestrians (narrow, no sidewalks, blind hills and 40mph speed limit...very dangerous to drive, let alone walk along). If they hadn't provided free busing I would have been forced to homeschool her because I had no way to get her to school. As it was when we were late and she missed the bus she missed school that day.
    Here the public schools are within walking distance of all the homes in their boundaries. It's actually around the corner from us. But my kids go to a different school 3 blocks away and we walk every day, rain or shine, snow or freezing.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2009