have you had your childs adenoids taken out?

did it make difference in your childs symptoms? for better or worse? my daughter snores and it seems like she has difficulty breathing while sleeping...we found out today she has enlarged adenoids and they recommend surgery. i am hesistant about them cutting on my baby...

Msunique80

Asked by Msunique80 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My daughter just had her tonsils and adenoids out in May. She sleeps better, no longer snores, and her voice is significantly louder and less muffled. Recovery was only a week, and she's been great every since. She's three by the way.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:59 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• that surgery is one of the easiest to recover from...they are back to normal with in a day or two. my son was running around as soon as he got home form the hospital. he was 2
    wowof3bbs

Answer by wowof3bbs at 6:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• When I was 13 they took out my tonsils, but left the adnoids. I wish they'd taken both. I snore like a chainsaw. LOL
    Best wishes for a speeedy recovery for your child~
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 8:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Get it done!!! It helps tremendously. My son had his tonsils and adenoids out and his breathing was 10 times better afterwards, he also gained about 20 lbs in a matter of months. My son was 4 1/2 and was back to normal within a few weeks, he had to go back in because he ate something he wasn't supposed to and opened the incision. The doctor just wanted to be safe and redid the incision. Stock up on ice cream, popsicles, jello. I highly recommend it. Would you rather have the surgery or your child stop breathing? That is what is happening when they snore. That is what made me ok the surgery....his doctor said those same words to me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I had mine taken out due to chronic ear infections. They thought maybe it would help. The 3 sets of ear tubes prior didn't work, but the adnoidectomy did! Haven't had a problem since.

I don't know about the snoring and breathing better, but wanted to share my personal experience.

Seems to me like these adnoids are troublesome little buggers.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:04 AM on Jul. 29, 2009