How do you feel about those "Your baby can read" videos?

I was watching tv and saw a commercial for those videos. I am skeptical but if it helps my kid i think id want to try it out. Also what do you think about baby einstein videos? I hear mixed messages, one of the messages being that they are bad because the child shouldn't watch tv?

kristen_renee3

Asked by kristen_renee3 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the einstein video's (they're only a half hour) either 1. when i needed to shower at night and baby was still awake and fussy, i'd put him in a bouncy and use teh video, or 2. we both needed some relax time together. I didn't use them a whole lot. If you buy, i'd only get a couple. They're ok.

I've thought about buying the baby can read stuff, but my concern is that at such a young age, repitition is the key to learning, a baby would have to watch several times a day to learn how they claim, and i wouldn't want my child watching that much t.v. I might get them anyway for our next one, and just do it once a day only.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Have you researched it online? The packages are VERY expensive! My suggestion is make your own flash cards! Like PP said, repetition is how babies learn. I have been doing this with my one year old for about a month or so. I see a little progress, but it has only been a month. ;)

Just write some simple words on index cards like clap and wave and kiss and body features (hand, eye, nose, etc.). We do them while I feed her. (so she can't get away. lol) I'll show her the card and point to the word as I say it. Then I either perform the word (wave) or show it (nose) and then say and point to the word again. Then I give a bite and well do another word. I might only do 4 or 5 words at a sitting, but I will do them over and over and in different orders. I've had friends use this same technique and they clam it works wonders!
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 9:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think they are silly. (the kids can read thing) its parents trying to get their kids to grow up to fast.
    Anonymous