How do you teach your child to pull their underwear down when they have to go potty?

If we tell my son to go on his little potty or he sees us going and wants to join us on his little potty, he often just sits down without pulling his underwear down. How do we teach him how to pull his underwear down so he does that first? (by the way, he's 21 months)

sunshinepraying

Asked by sunshinepraying at 6:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try showing him how. Help him do it by placing his hands in the right areas to push them down and then help him out if he needs it.
    beautyoperator

Answer by beautyoperator at 6:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Show him. Lots of times. But at 21 months he may not be able to do it yet. My DD can pull hers down SOMETIMES, but others she can't and she gets frustrated, she's 25 months.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 6:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• At that age my son could only pull the front down. I just kept showing him how to put his hands on the side so the back of his underwear wouldn't get stuck on his butt, lmao! That was hilarious. I wish I had a video of that now. It took a few months. He'll probably be able to do it by himself around 2 years. Just keep showing him.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 7:08 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• it may just take a lil time every child is different so dont get discouraged if u've tried several different things. my daughter is learning how to go potty and she wont stop taking her pants off!!! it dont matter were she is shell just start stripping when ever she wants!!! even if she doesnt have to go shell take everything off from waste down!!! trying to get her to stop but its hard!!! good luck
    MRSHARRIS821

Answer by MRSHARRIS821 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 27, 2009