Why do people get mad at there children for jumping on the couches?

I never get mad at my son but my bf says that it is wrong and I have heard other people say that as well. I do get mad when he jumps on other peoples couches because its theirs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't get mad, but I tell them to stop. They could get hurt.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• In case they fall and whack their heads, or in case the sofa gets damaged
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I paid a lot of money for my couches. My daughter is not allowed to stand or jump on the couch, it's not safe and it's unnecessarily tough on the couch. We have a small trampoline she can jump on if she feels the need.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• They could fall and hit their head on the coffee or side tables. It makes a huge noise on the floor when they jump off. They sometimes have dirty feet that I don't want dirtying the couch. It is a piece of furniture not a jungle gym.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Maybe it isn't a big deal because my couch it old...that is a good point.
    Anonymous

• I dont let my kids jump or stand on the couch because it is VERY dangerous and it will ruin my couches and they are far from working age to buy new ones ;o)
    wowof3bbs

Answer by wowof3bbs at 6:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Uh duh b/c I paid good money for the couch, b/c they could get hurt, b/c it's disrespectful, etc
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't have really nice furniture until my daughter gets older anyway, so I don't mind my daughter doing it either. She is a born climber and very rarely falls. I mean, I do get her down from things but she climbs right back up. It is just as likely she could fall while climbing back up as if she were just hanging there.

I don't know, I guess I just look at my furniture as things. It can all be replaced. She is only a kid once.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 6:32 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Casper...you are awesome! I totally agree.

To the anon above...Why is it disrespectful?
    Anonymous

• LOL... my mom gets mad b/c I let them jump on the bed too. As they are getting older and I'm trying to get to the point of getting new furniture I am realizing that its hard to retrain them not to and that sometimes they have diff. generalizing from one situation to the other.
    It is dangerous, kinda BUT its SOOOOOOO much fun (they are not allowed to jump on sis new bed b/c it moves and is to high).
    And as to the dangerous thing -- my son has gotten worse injuries standing/waling on the floor than jumping on sofas, tranpolines etc. SO it kinda makes me think -- seriously I'm talking ambulance and hospital stays from on the floor -- NOTHING EVER (yet, knock on wood) from the "dangerous" behavior.
    Anonymous