Trip on an Airplane...Can anyone advise???

We are flying to visit my family in about two weeks. I have an eight month old. Any trick on how to keep him happy for at least half the trip??? LOL Lately he's been on a screaming kick and I am stressing on this trip. He's going to be sitting in our lap. I would have loved to put him in his car seat but I can't afford to buy another seat.

Dayija

Asked by Dayija at 6:19 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Travel

• I gave my 8 month old a 1/2 t of benedryl to make the flight easier on him! Dr. recommended it!

Good luck and bring snacks and new little toys!
    wowof3bbs

Answer by wowof3bbs at 6:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Tylenol an hour before the trip. He should sleep most of the time the pressure makes babies sleepy. I have been on 10 flights with my daughter since she was 2 months old and everyone of them she slept. Pacifier while taking off and landing. I used a baby bjorn woth my baby they are awesome I didnt even have to take her out, just kept her strapped in the whole time until she needed to be fed or changed. Eat before going on the flight because u will not be able to put the tray down to eat on the flight. Bring extra food and snacks. Make sure u use a nightime diaper before u get on the flight that way if baby only pees u will not have to change it until u get off. If u have a portable dvd player or laptop then bring some kiddie dvds.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Are you breastfeeding? Because nursing on take off and landing is a godsend! If not you can and should give him a bottle right at takeoff, I would also put a slower flow nipple on , so he has to work a little harder to get out the milk. so it takes him longer to drink it all. It would be terrible to give him a bottle and have him gulp it all down before his ears start getting clogged. Also make sure you have a bottle made before it is time for the final descent.
    I would also bring a couple of his favorite toys. Also bring his favorite blankie and lovey.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:28 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I've done this atleast 3 times (Plane ride with an 7-9month old) Many people will say to drug your child. A little fever-reducing medicine (think Tylenol) this will help relax the child (Never worked for me)

We would be on the plane for 12 hours (flying from Japan to D.C.) and at that stage my children would have been breastfed (A LifeSaver!) When ever they got cranky I would just pop my boob in their mouth. If you dont breastfeed-make sure to give them a bottle when the plane is taking off(helps with their ears not popping hurting so much)
    Change diapers frequently (Have your own diaper bags (ones that help block the smell-and throw it away in the bathroom trash-flight attendants cannot throw it away in the same trash bin for food items)
    Have a favorite toy (doesnt make loud noise-maybe something with nice colors though or vibrates)
    The baby will sleep most of the flight-make sure he/she is warm. God Bless!
    LittleMrsBasket

Answer by LittleMrsBasket at 6:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• some new or loved toys, snacks drinks comfort toy
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Snacks, small toys, and a sippy or bottle for taking off and landing. I wouldnt give your kids meds just for the flight. I hate when parents do that. If its not needed why give it to them? Anyways, maybe a blanket. Our son didnt ride lap so Im not sure about how the flight will go. Good luck!
    Mrschapy06

Answer by Mrschapy06 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Meds are usually needed and given at the wrong time because babies ears alot more sensitive than ours. If u do not give the tylenol before take off and ur baby is really sensitive during take off then giving meds then will be toooo late. Tylenol is safe to give before the flight.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2009