Picture it....youre in a parking lot, trying to strategically back out of (or into) a parking space. Its crowded, you cant see behind you very well because people keep walking behind you without an regard for the fact that youre backing out. In an attempt to keep from hitting a pedestrian, you accidentally hit the car beside you. What do you do? BE HONEST!! I want to know theres still some honest people out there.

You assess the damage to be a dent and a big scratch so your options are.....

Wait for the person to come out of the store so you may explain that it was an accident and offer your insurance information to have it fixed.

Leave them a note letting them know how sorry you are along with your phone number so that they may call you to set up a time to get it fixed.

Leave them a note telling them how sorry you are

Feel badly, but quickly get the hell out dodge so that no one knows what a loser you are for fleeing the scene and pray no one saw you.

I am furious. I dont know the circumstances behind this or what happened, but I found a nasty dent and scratch in my SUV today. I feel it must have happened in the walmart parking lot because thats the only place Ive been. WHY would someone NOT take responsibility for that? Whats wrong with people?

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 6:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If it were me, no matter how much I didn't want to - or how mad my husband would be... I would go back in, and ask for them to page someone with the car (license number)... If that didn't work, I would wait for you.

I was at work 2 1/2 years ago & I heard my name overhead... not uncommon. I heard it again, and responded. It was one of my co-workers that backed into my car with her huge truck. I was very grateful that she was honest, she could have very easily gotten away with it. I think it's funny how what goes around, comes around...
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:50 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Feel badly, but quickly get the hell out dodge so that no one knows what a loser you are for fleeing the scene and pray no one saw you.
    Anonymous

• I would probably wait. My hubby and I caught a lady doing this and she took off!!!! we followed her and got her plate number then waited for the owner of the damaged care to return. She was very appreciative especially cause hubby is a cop
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i actually have done something like this trying to get into a tiny space at the library parking lot. i hit his mirror....it didnt help that he was somewhat over in my spot too! anyways i wrote a note with my number on it, my name, and all of that stuff so that he could call me so my insurance could cover it. i think its rude for people not to take responsibility for things that they do.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I would leave a note with my phone number. My oldest DD told me after we have left the parking lot that her door hit the car next to us. I turned around and went back, but the car next to where we had been was gone. I felt so bad!
    Mommy2_two

Answer by Mommy2_two at 6:54 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Find the person I hit. If my kids are with me, I would definitely go into the store to find them, just in case they're psycho! Get a security guard, I suppose.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:58 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Well, anon, at least you are honest....Are the one who hit my car? LOL....just kidding. Seriously, I dont think I could live with myself if I did that much damage to someones car. Its a BIG dent. I work hard to keep my vehicles looking nice and no its not the best or newest auto, its still what I drive and MY personal property. I always make sure I am parked straight because it bugs my hubby when I dont, but this was so uncalled for. I live in a fairly poor county and its possible that many dont have car insurance so they were afraid to stop. I possibly would have had mercy on them if they had just taken responsibility....I also take cash, too....LOL.....Just so low class to do that. Maybe since they saw that I was driving a LIncoln navigator, they thought I could afford to pay for it myself. Well, what they dont know is that its got 170k and its 9 yrs old. I would like to keep it. UGH!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I honestly would wait a little while and if they never come out I would leave a note. I would be pissed if somebody did that to me. I know in my town there is NO WAY a person would leave a note, we have too many rude people.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If it was in a store parking lot I would have them paged. In a mall I would leave a note. Because I had this happen to me too. It buckled and I had to replace the entire side panel then try to match the paint. I try to teach my children accountability. Plus I have good insurance.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 7:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Sorry about your car. I have actually done this in a Walmart parking lot. We...my dh, dd, and I waited for the woman to come out. I walked over to her...told her what happened, and showed her where on her car...and, tried to give her my insurance #. She couldn't thank me enough and claimed it looked as tho a coat of wax would take care of it. It was a small scratch with no dent on her hood. It made me feel good to show my dd who was 9 at the time what a responsible, decent person would do in that situation..not too mention put some faith back into mankind just a little at the time.

I had someone hit and run my car in Kohls parking lot. I had just put my car on liability...typical. Anyhoo, the door is still dented to this day..and, starting to rust where it creased. (I keep cars until the doors fall off) lol I seriously have no faith in most people any longer. Sad, but true!

Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 7:23 PM on Jul. 27, 2009