how many centimeters do you have to be dialated before you get to go to the hospital?

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I believe it is four before they will admitt you.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• It doesn't generally have to do with centimeters - some women go into full labor without ever dilating at all.

But generally most hospitals consider you to be in "active" labor when you are 4cm and will keep you at that point, unless your labor is not progressing at all.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:51 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Stay home as long as possible. Being at the hospital is not exciting
    Anonymous

• I was at 0 with my first cuz of his heart and i was at 4 with my 2nd
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 7:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Depends on the woman. Some have to be admitted when your water breaks, some don't have their water broken, some go into active labour at 1cm, others go full blast at 10cm. So it all depends on your situation. best thing to do is go and get checked out.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• If your water has not broke, contractions stop, baby and mom is not in destress and labor is not progressing they will probably send you home. I am currently almost 6 cm and dr says to stay home until either contractions get consistant and 5 min apart or water breaks. If you are worried it does not hurt to go in.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• oh and had been 4 cm since I was 36 weeks...I am now almostr 39
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I think it all depends on the situation.......i was only 2 centimeters when i got there but my contractions were only 2 minutes apart. So i was admitted i dialated very fast after the first hour of being there so maybe thats why i got to stay but if you feel like you should go then go. Because every labor is different and you never know whats gonna happen. I went from two centimeters to 9 centimeters in just 2 hours....it was crazy!!!!

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 28, 2009