my 6 yr old is becoming a real smart mouth and pushes around her little sister, how can i stop this?

she will be 7 in september, and she started spanking and pushing her 3 yr old sister, when i tell her to do something she says in a minute, and smart mouths all the time, punishment doesnt seem to work. i dont know how to fix this, i feel like im losing my mind!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• when I was a kid I just got spanked and then eventually backhanded. However, I believe I learned a thing or 2 from my childhood. While I am an advocate for spanking I do believe there are other ways of discipling as well. If you haven't really disciplined in the past then its going to take a lot of work! I do believe it will be worth it though. First, is she doing this for attention? are you spending some quality time with her......not when she is in trouble. I have a 6 year old as well and when she was 3 her daddy got deployed w/Katrina (we had a 3 hr notice) and out of the blue she started hitting me, bitting me , etc....when I realized I wasn't spending QUALITY time with her I started . When we got home she got my undivided attention for 30 minutes and the behavioral problems went away. Now we also have a little one & sometimes my oldest gets jealous so my husband & I play with her after the baby is in bed.
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• how are you punishing her? taking away privleges and toys is a good punishment. timeout and spanking don't usually have much effect on older children
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I know this might sound mean but its because maybe she wasnt diciplined right when she was younger?? I know a little boy just like her and his mother can not get him to listen to save her. Then he gets sent to the baby sitter (my friend) and is a jerk to her kids and mine. I swear though if he spits on me or hits me agian he will get it and i do not care what his mother thinks. he needs his ass beat.
    SweetPea708

Answer by SweetPea708 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• if time-outs, grounding, cleaning, and consistency are not working then to be honest a spanking on the bottom is needed. don't get carried away just a few taps & tell her why & tell her you love her.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:20 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Whoop that ass............Point blank, When she talks back pop her mouth. I don't think butt whooping are a thing of the past or abuse. You just have to know when to stop and not take it too far. Make her FEAR you!!!
    Anonymous

• She is trying to do the same thing you do. Reevaluate how you talk to her and her sister.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• However, if this doesn't work you may have to try taking her "currency" (as dr phil says) away. What is important to her.......then let her earn it back w/good behavior. Or make her write sentences ( from my experience this works better w/boys b/c they hate sitting still...lol). If none of these work you might just have to resort to spanking but I think once she realizes you are the boss and serious, and you stay consistent things will get better. Good Luck!!!
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 9:18 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Its time to spank her behind. Kids are not stupid, they will not follow what you are doing. She is 6, she knows what she is doing is wrong, she is testing her limits and your allowing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree with the poster who mentioned that your daughter is doing what you do. Kids, by nature, want to be be and say and do what they see older kids and adults being and saying and doing. Does that mean you're doing doing something wrong? Definitely not! You should take a look at how you interact with your daughter; if you feel that you are still doing things right, then it's time to sit down and explain that there are certain behaviors adults can do and and certain behaviors children can do (ex: only kids of certain heights are allowed @ the McD's playground). Then explain that if you see your daughter doing one of the behaviors you have repeatedly ask her to not do, she will be punished. The next time she does one of the behaviors, do not give her a second chance but immeadiately put into action the consequences.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 10:03 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• She may also just be doing this because she wants attention. Try giving her lots of positive attention, even if all you do is thank her for doing what you ask the first time you ask. If she is going after her little sister she may feel that you are giving her sister more time and attention than she is needing right now.
    nikspineapple

Answer by nikspineapple at 10:05 AM on Jul. 28, 2009