How long were you in labor???

Like,

how long before you were able to push???

I want to wait at home for most of my contractions and then go to the hospital when they get semi-unbarable or its closer to pushing time. Then I'll check in when I feel like being in a hospital bed. I plan on a completly natural birth, everyone in my family except one aunt, who I am glad did an epidural cuz she is such a freakin cry baby, so I'm making it a point and putting both my mom and hubby in charge of medications if all goes to plan, because I dont wanna be in pain and be like wtf just give it to me.

So did anyone else do that? try and wait out on being admitted to the hospital?
Please Share. My hospital is only a 5-10 minute drive so I feel good about waiting but I want to know if there are risks...etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I started feeling "ick" about mid afternoon. That progressed into mild, random cramps three or four hours later. By eleven pm or so, I was having time-able contractions and started losing my mucus plug. Didn't arrive at the hospital until about 10:30 the following morning. Baby was born just after five that evening. All told, around twenty hours of labor, about average for a first time mom. In retrospect, I could have stayed home longer.
    When doctors tell you to come in when contractions are 5 minutes apart and a minute long, well, for *most* women, that means you're going to be at the hospital for at least eight or ten hours. Lots of time to give in and ask for drugs. :-) If you're determined to go drug free, wait until contractions are a minute or two apart. Like you, I live very close to the hospital. If I lived further out, I wouldn't stay home that long.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:05 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• 6 hrs..pushed for 2 hrs i wanted to do natural but i was hooked up to machines and was induced and i had back labor. the epidural was a lifesaver and idc if ppl bash me on that
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• i was 18 hr in labor but 3 hr actual pushing for my first born for my second i was 12 hr in labor and pushing took just 30 min. i say stay home till u cant nomore or till ur water breaks. best advice
    SINCONCEPCION

Answer by SINCONCEPCION at 7:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• depending on how long your contractions go on for really!!! some go for hours but if they are strong and prolonged the baby could get distressed and heart rate drop everytime you have a contraction this may result in a c section as the baby will be so distressed near the time of actuall labour that it will not happen!! also if your waters go the longer you leave it the more chance of infection doctors and midwifes normally in all cases say if your waters go then its best to go in just for a cheack
    mum2oneandabit

Answer by mum2oneandabit at 7:03 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I had a 100% natural birth, no iv or monitoring. I waited at home until my contractions were about 4-5 min apart. I was in labor at home for about 6 hr but i was walking around and cooking the whole time. When i got to the hospital they took me right to my room and within 5 min i was pushing.
    Anonymous

• I was at the hospital "in labor" for 10 hours pushed for 13 but i was at the hospital for 24 hours b4 and had to be started becuz of my sons heart. we also only life a few mins away and with my 2nd we were at the hospital for 7 hours and i showed up already at 4 cm. I didnt get an epidural with my first and i did with my 2nd and it didnt work!!!! i will never get one again...if ur baby is ok i would wait tell u cant take it then go
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 7:04 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• OP--

So at my hospital its easy to make appointments...so should I get an emergency appointment to make sure the baby is okay? I dont want to have something bad happen because I dont like hospitals. Once my water breaks do i need to go in? does that usually mean pushing time?
    Anonymous

• I was in full blown labour for 28 hours, then 1 1/2 hrs of pushing.
    My daughter was waiting for my mom to come =) As soon as my mom walked in the room, I could feel her wiggling around, and about an hr after that the nurses checked me, I went from 4cm to 8cm!!
    I had an all natural birth, but the help of an epidural because my daughter was all back labour and I couldn't even push because it hurt so bad. Puking for all those 28hrs was not fun either, due to my back contractions and hernia.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• everyone is different really, but go with your gut feeling, i had severe complications i kept saying something was wrong that i was in labor and contracting (at 26 weeks) and they kept telling me i had a bladder infection i insisted they check me and the baby's head was there, i had to deliver and she was out in 3 pushes, she only weighed 2 pounds but survived after 2 months in the NICU
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 7:14 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My first I went into labor at 6 am, left for the hospital at 6:30 that same morning and had her at 8:55 that morning, I pushed twice.
    My second was induced at 10 because of how fast my first was, they were scared I wouldnt make it to the hospital, I had her at 12:55 so that one was almost 3 hours from start to finish, I pushed for 10 minutes.
    My last was a little longer, I started having contractions at about 3 that afternoon, left for the hospital at around seven bc they became regular and 2 mins apart but not painful, when I got to the hospital they wanted to send me home bc I was not in pain, until they called my doctor, she told them DO NOT SEND HER HOME...so once I got into the L&D room around 9ish, he was born at 1:15 that morning, I pushed once after the doc broke my water and he was here...
    Everyone is different, most dont have labors like mine, but you will know when it is time to go to the hospital...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:15 PM on Jul. 27, 2009