Cookout or meal for a bunch of firefighters...

The hubby & I are having a cookout/meal for a bunch of the firefighters my hubby works with...I'm trying to decide whether to cookout or cook "in" lol. I need some ideas...I am so so so tired of burgers & hotdogs...I would love any ideas you have!

emtaglover

Asked by emtaglover at 7:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• How about a mexican themed dinner? Enchiladas, taco soup in the crock pot, cheese dip, and some frozen corn on the side. That and a huge cooler full of sweet tea and the guys I cook for are usually happy! I have the best easy enchilada recipe- just pm me if you want the recipe. Same goes for the taco soup.
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• theres always grilled chicken, pork, fish, etc. you could get those boxes of ready made meals that are ready in like 10 or so minutes with like chicken alfredo and then have some salad, rolls or garlic bread, and maybe something for dessert or something like that. just an idea from the regular bbq items.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My hubby's a firefighter too! They have training meetings every month and they have a dinner beforehand. Some of the things they have besides burgers and hot dogs are bratwurst & smoked sausage on the grill, spaghetti & meatballs, chili (of course), meatballs & gravy with mashed potatoes, BBQ chicken, pulled pork sandwiches, sloppy joes, fresh dinner rolls, pasta salads, homemade mac & cheese (lots of gooey cheese) and plenty of desserts. Pies always go over well, as do the chocolate sheet cakes or brownies. Have fun!!!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My husband is a FF for DCFD.

My suggestions are cook out. Try pulled pork sandwiches or Beer Can Chicken (check cooks.com for a recipe) on the grill (can also be done in the oven).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• my husband works for Orlando FD

There are soooo many things you can grill. Go onto Half.com and find a grilling book. the one i have has probably 300 different ideas.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Is your husband a full-time, paid firefighter or a volunteer? The reason I ask is because in my city they are full-time and they take rotations staying at the firehouse. Which means that they do their own cooking there at the firestation. I would check to see what types of food they typically cook for themselves and then opt for something different. Do you have any special meals that you make? This might be a good idea. (For me, everyone knows that I can make chicken paprikash and that's something that not everyone eats all the time.)
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 9:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• PSMother, we are just having a get together outside of the fire station. We've had a bunch of new recruits & we just wanted to welcome them to the FD family. :) But with this FD my hubby is volunteer. Everyone else, thank you so much for all the great ideas & helpful replies so far!
    emtaglover

Answer by emtaglover at 12:02 AM on Jul. 28, 2009