How much formula should a 5 1/2 mo. old eat daily?

I breastfed for the first 5 months exclusively, so please no bashing. Unfortunately when I went back to work my supply just dwindled. I did everything I could to increase it, but it just didn't work. So....now we formula feed and I'm just wondering how many total oz in a day she should be consuming.

snb216

Asked by snb216 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As much as he/she wants! :) They will stop eating when they are full. Just start with small amounts, like 2 or 3 oz at a time and see how much they like at a time and how often.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 7:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I agree with smarshy they should eat as much as they want. When my baby was fist born he ate 4oz at a time, now he is 8 months he can eat 6 oz of formula plus solids, so I would just let the baby it until he/she is full
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Feed on demand. Take a few days to experiment with amounts and times....you'll figure it out, no problem.

At 5 1/2 months, mine were taking about 45oz per day and eating three meals of baby food (a full stage 2 jar per meal with cereal mixed in)! HUGE eaters! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:07 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• http://www.earthsbest.com/baby_nutrition/feeding_schedule_print.php

As far as the BFing, not bashing at all...but its not all or nothing, you can still nurse even if pumping went down and you can't provide milk for when you work...its possible to nurse and then give formula...every ounce counts remember that
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Thanks all! I did try only nursing at night and in the morning, but she would get so frustrated and upset that it was hard. So I would try to pump, but wouldn't get hardly anything. I certainly wasn't ready to give it up :)
    snb216

Answer by snb216 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I used to give 8 oz right when she woke up then about 8:30 feed her brekfast then about 9:30 4 oz and a nap the when she woke up i would give her 8 oz then play with her then feed her lunch with 4 oz and another nap the 8 oz then wait and play for dinner and feed her dinner and give her a bath and wear her out and give her an 8oz bottle about 7:30 and she would crash for the night
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• My 5 month old eats five, 6 oz bottles a day.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:42 PM on Jul. 27, 2009