this carseat for my 3 year old?

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/baby/carseatsandaccessories/carseats/PRD~354436/Cosco+Ventura+HighBack+Booster+Car+Seat++Rembrandt.jsp

If Im understanding correctly it would mean he can be in a 5 point harness till hes 40 lbs,hes 35 now.At which point the harness is removed and its used as a booster with an adult seat belt.Is this safe?Should I opt for one with out the harness since hes close to 40 lbs?

Chrystal_A

Asked by Chrystal_A at 7:46 PM on Jul. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Im also considering this one-http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/baby/carseatsandaccessories/carseats/PRD~497263/Graco+HighBack+TurboBooster+Car+Seat.jsp
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 7:49 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Apex 65 if you want to harness later.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the suggestion however its about 3xs the price of the ones Im looking at.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 8:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• I can't get either of your links to work, but generally speaking a carseat that only harnesses to 40lbs. isn't going to be your "best bet" when buying a new seat for a 3yr. old. Also, almost all seats that harness to 40lbs. and then become boosters, actually make really terrible boosters. It would be better to get a seat that harnesses to 65lbs. if you can and then convert to a booster, they usually make pretty good boosters too. If you get a seat that only goes to 40lbs. then you would (usually) need/want to buy a good dedicated booster later on.

What seat is your child in now? Has he outgrown it? What is your budget?

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• Thanks for the reply.Im not looking to buy another seat next year,or 5lbs later.

He has a Cosco - Scenera ,he has not outgrown however my soon to be 1 yer old outgrew his so we have to move him to the convertable carseat,which means the 3 year old gets a new carseat!My budget is $100
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:01 PM on Jul. 27, 2009

• We use a Nautilus by Graco.
    http://www.gracobaby.com/Search%20Results/Pages/Search.aspx?search=8J00BRV#/1402
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• There's not a good solution if you can only spend $100, unless you're creative. So here are some other ideas. Cosco Scenaras are $50. Buy one for the other kid. How long is it going to take your 3 year old to outgrow the one he has? A while. Five pounds doesn't sound like much, but it really is at this age! It'll take a while to get to. In the mean time, try to save some more money, or put the word out to your friends with older kids that you would like to grab theirs when they're done (provided you know them well, no accidents, car seat unexpired, etc). You can sell the infant seat you have. I don't love that idea, but hey, at least you know you're selling a safe one.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:58 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• apexmommy:actually hes 5 lbs from outgrowing his seat anyway,I posted above he has cosco Scencera(sp-its correct above)
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 12:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Then your best bet really would be the Graco Nautilus, which you can usually get for about $130 at Walmart. Otherwise,you can get the Apex65 usually for about $100 or less here (on sale for $89 right now): http://www.albeebaby.com/sa1stap65boc.html

However, please be aware it requires a headrest or tall vehicle seatback behind it!

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Thanks sarahmae3:we have head rests,even in the back.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 11:14 AM on Aug. 2, 2009